3250 weights

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
I just weighed my truck and trailer and thought I would post them in case anyone else with a 3250 would like a very general idea of their weights.
Truck was full of fuel
Driver in truck (me)-260 lbs.
Full propane and loaded with gear and clothes. Minimal food, no fresh water and holding tanks empty.
Of course all the above are huge variables.

Truck-09 2500HD CC SB w/ D/A 6780
Trailer only .........................12,320
Gross weight .......................19,100

Truck and trailer axle breakdown
Truck front axle....... 4180
Truck rear axle........ 5460
Trailer front axle ......4620
Trailer rear axle .......4840

Pin weight ..............2860
Trailer axle combined 9460

I could not do individual wheel weight.

The only surprised was the pin weight. I guess I carry more stuff than I thought. I might also add that this includes a rear wagon carrier that I built but did not have the bikes loaded in the wagon. The wagon and the rack probably weigh 100 lbs combined. I never weighed either one when I was through with the carrier.

Adding food for a week, my DW who was running the scales, the bikes and maybe a few more clothes (not many) I would probaly gross out at 19500.
Pretty pleased with the results.

Weights

Where do you weigh your truck and 5th wheel? We're getting ready to leave for Destin, FL, and I'd love to know the weight of all we're taking.

SouthernNights

I weighed mine at the C and D dump in town. I go in there several times a week so they were patient with me while I axled out.

Where are you going in Destin? I just read about a Fla. state park near there and the article said it is never full or crowded. I believe the name was Topsail-(not the one in NC)

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I wish my rig was that light:D Looking at your numbers, you are only 440# over the GVRW of your truck. Plus any additional passengers. It's funny how easily these trailers get heavier after we buy em.;)

SouthernNights

Ray, good catch on the GVWR on the truck. There have been a few threads why the GVWR is not the sum of the gross axle weights. Still not sure why they do that other than licensing.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Larry - great numbers. It's got my interested up about my BC. One question - what's a rear wagon carrier? The term is just a little confusing. I have seen the rear hitch cargo carrier but not a wagon. We are heading down to SC in 2 weeks and would love to do a triple bringing the golf cart but I understand that SC doesn't allow triples. Got any insight to that?
Nathan

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
You can weight you rig at any truck stop that has scales such as Pilot, Flying J, T/A etc. Most Pilot travel plazas have CAT scales and it costs around $8.00 to get weighed. BTW Destin Fla just had a minimal hurricane a couple of weeks ago so I would call ahead and see if there is a place available to stay. Don't know how much damage they received.

SouthernNights

Larry - great numbers. It's got my interested up about my BC. One question - what's a rear wagon carrier? The term is just a little confusing. I have seen the rear hitch cargo carrier but not a wagon. We are heading down to SC in 2 weeks and would love to do a triple bringing the golf cart but I understand that SC doesn't allow triples. Got any insight to that?
Nathan

I have seen quite a few people towing doubles here. Doesn't make it legal but people do it.
The wagon carrier is something I built to carry our oversize wagon for the beach. Wanted something stronger and lighter than just a cargo carrier plus it had to flip up out of the way. We carry our bikes inside the wagon.

Sorry-not a golf cart carrier.

Bobby A

I just weighed my truck and trailer and thought I would post them in case anyone else with a 3250 would like a very general idea of their weights.
Truck was full of fuel
Driver in truck (me)-260 lbs.
Full propane and loaded with gear and clothes. Minimal food, no fresh water and holding tanks empty.
Of course all the above are huge variables.

Truck-09 2500HD CC SB w/ D/A 6780
Trailer only .........................12,320
Gross weight .......................19,100

Truck and trailer axle breakdown
Truck front axle....... 4180
Truck rear axle........ 5460
Trailer front axle ......4620
Trailer rear axle .......4840

Pin weight ..............2860
Trailer axle combined 9460

I could not do individual wheel weight.

The only surprised was the pin weight. I guess I carry more stuff than I thought. I might also add that this includes a rear wagon carrier that I built but did not have the bikes loaded in the wagon. The wagon and the rack probably weigh 100 lbs combined. I never weighed either one when I was through with the carrier.

Adding food for a week, my DW who was running the scales, the bikes and maybe a few more clothes (not many) I would probaly gross out at 19500.
Pretty pleased with the results.

Thats good info to know, thanks for sharing that.

SouthernNights

I am pulling it with an 09 GMC 2500 short bed CC w/ Duramax.
I pulled it twice with an 08 2500 6.0 gas. Glad it was time for a new truck with a diesel.

Bobby...you are welcome. I hope this info is useful for someone.

Thanks for the information about where to weigh. Before we bought our 3250, I did a lot of studying about weights to be sure our truck could handle that size fifth wheel. I'm still not sure about it but all indications were that the truck could handle it. We haven't weighed truck or camper since we've had them. Maybe on this trip we can do that just so we'll know where we stand. I always try to pack light but that never seems to happen.

We're going to Camping on the Gulf and have been going there for the past several years with friends. We always go in September after the season so the rates are lower and we stay for a week or two to get the best rates. Just take our chances with hurricanes during that time and so far have had good weather each year.

We bought our 2011 3250TS and took it out 2 weeks ago. It pulled heavier than our previous trailer so I scaled it. My wieghts are simular.
steer axle 4420
drive axle 5620 = 2540 pin #
trailer 9100 (both axles)
= gross 19140
the # seamed excesive based on what is on the trailer # label and what i put in the trailer. yes is listed my gear and weighted it. what we foreget is the # on the label is completely dry. Off the top of my head if you add the hydraulic fluid, battery, fill both propane bottles, count the 12 gal inside the water heater, another gallon or so in the water lines you come up with about 300# right there. That does not count the gallons that do not drain from the holding tanks if the trailer is not level when draining. And how many level dumping stations are out there...not many. These normal things are taken for granted but they add up quickly.

and for info my 2008 dodge 2500 Cummins S/B with 3/4 tank of fuel with hitch in back weighs 7500#