PDA

View Full Version : Half TIme Oven - Fixed and love it!

NSNorthtrail
08-22-2009, 01:49 PM
So I got me new Halftime oven last week. My last one didn't last 3 mins-Cooling fans were bad!! First tried out the Micro and it was flawless. Worked great! Then attempted to cook a famliy size frozen Chicken Pot Pie. The box said 400 Temp for 60 mins. So following the half time premise I set the oven for 400 at 30 mins. After 30 mins the pie was still frozen! Put it in for another 20 mins. Still Ice cold-near frozen. Put the temp to 425 and put in for another 20 mins. Still not cooked. Endedup having to cook the rest of the way with the micro. So in half time mode it was in the oven for over 70 mins!!1 It would have cooked in a reg oven in 60 mins. I then tried a frozen pizza in half time mode. What a sham!1 It said 425 for 20 mins in a reg oven soooooo I put it in T 425 FOR 13 MINS. pIZZA WAS NOT FROZEN BUT WAS NO WHERE NEAR COOKED. i Cranked it up to 450 and had to colok it for anohter 12 mins.
I do not believe in this product at all!! Yes the coil is heating in the oven. Going on and off like it should but this half time stuff is a crock!! I guess all I have is a fancy looking microwave oven.

jmgratz
08-22-2009, 02:00 PM
We don't have one but everyone we have talked to that does loves theirs. Maybe yours is defective. Call customer service and discuss it with them

JohnDar
08-22-2009, 02:22 PM
Ours works. Wife uses it a lot when we're in "residence."

kakampers
08-22-2009, 02:38 PM
Hope I don't jinx myself, but our's has worked perfectly for over two years...and the Half-Time oven is the best part!

sidney dreyfus
08-22-2009, 02:38 PM
ours works great. Have it checked out. We havn't had a problem with ours.

Boca_Shuffles
08-22-2009, 03:05 PM
Our unit works great.

This may be a silly question, especially coming from a male. Did you use the metal tray that was packed in the unit when you received it? The instructions state that the tray MUST be used for 1/2 time function.

Sorry if it was a stupid question.

kakampers
08-22-2009, 03:11 PM
Actually, that's a great question! If it wasn't used, you will definitely have problems with it...the metal pan is required for all uses except the mircrowave.

jayc
08-22-2009, 03:18 PM
My wife loves it and doesn't use the conventional oven at all since we got the half-time unit. You may have a bad one.

AL KADEY
08-22-2009, 03:25 PM
Ours works great wife uses it allthe time

Nell
08-22-2009, 04:02 PM
I think yours must be defective. I have used mine a fair bit and it works exactly as it should. I really think it's great but you absolutely have to use the metal tray in order for the heat to circulate around (and underneath) your food. I would contact the manufacturer.

NSNorthtrail
08-22-2009, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the replies eveyone. I did use the metal tray for both food items. I am thinkning that maybe it just does not do well with frozen products. Anyone have any thoughts on this??

Big Al and Donna
08-22-2009, 04:45 PM
My wife didn't know a thing about them until she went to the class at the Rally in Goshen. Now she uses it all of the time and hasn't used the gas oven at all. She said it cooks frozen products as stated on the package only half time. She thinks you need to contact the manufacturer, it must be defective.

kakampers
08-22-2009, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the replies eveyone. I did use the metal tray for both food items. I am thinkning that maybe it just does not do well with frozen products. Anyone have any thoughts on this??

Now that I think about it, the only problem I ever had was with a frozen pizza...the first one it cooked fine, the second...not so good! Everything else, however, comes out great!

Draco Dog
08-23-2009, 01:43 AM
NSNorthTrail,

I so enjoyed reading your message. You had me in stitches and I had to read the whole thing over a couple of times.

The 1/2 time oven is the convection oven. right?

I know this is not funny, but you just wrote it so well that I couldn't keep from laughing.

We have a Big Horn 3670BH. Purchased it 2 years ago and love it. We also have the regular conventional oven, the micro-wave oven and the convection. We have yet to figure out the 1/2 time oven. We've tried out the 1/2 time oven, but guess we have to go back to instruction #1. We tried a baked potatoe and some kind of meat (pork chops maybe). The chops were not done and the spuds were still cold.

Someday we will sit down and read the book. If all else fails, read the book.

If you figure out that strange machine, let me know. Thanks,. cheri

jmgratz
08-23-2009, 08:05 AM
The 1/2 time oven and a convection oven are different.

csalmons
08-24-2009, 08:35 AM
So I got me new Halftime oven last week. My last one didn't last 3 mins-Cooling fans were bad!! First tried out the Micro and it was flawless. Worked great! Then attempted to cook a famliy size frozen Chicken Pot Pie. The box said 400 Temp for 60 mins. So following the half time premise I set the oven for 400 at 30 mins. After 30 mins the pie was still frozen! Put it in for another 20 mins. Still Ice cold-near frozen. Put the temp to 425 and put in for another 20 mins. Still not cooked. Endedup having to cook the rest of the way with the micro. So in half time mode it was in the oven for over 70 mins!!1 It would have cooked in a reg oven in 60 mins. I then tried a frozen pizza in half time mode. What a sham!1 It said 425 for 20 mins in a reg oven soooooo I put it in T 425 FOR 13 MINS. pIZZA WAS NOT FROZEN BUT WAS NO WHERE NEAR COOKED. i Cranked it up to 450 and had to colok it for anohter 12 mins.
I do not believe in this product at all!! Yes the coil is heating in the oven. Going on and off like it should but this half time stuff is a crock!! I guess all I have is a fancy looking microwave oven.

I am sorry I didn't get to post right when you had this problem. I would say there is something wrong with your micro and you should give us a call. I have one in my home and it cooks frozen items just fine, so there is an issue there with yours. Please give us a call at 800-772-7262 and we would be happy to help you out. Please talk with Tammi and we will get things figured out for you. The 1/2 time should work faster and better than the convection or the whole meal option ( I've had my oven for about 3 years and have never used either of those options). Depending on altitude the temp should be set based on what you are cooking and what the packaging reads. Sometimes the directions are different on meals cooked from a frozen state. And it is mandatory that you use the metal try like other on the forum have said. You can actually damage your oven if you don't. The oven does take time to heat up so if you are cooking something over the 400 degree mark, you might need to add a few extra min. If you are cooking a couple of items, start with the lowest temp item and build yourself up to the higher one, this lets the oven gradually heat up so by the time you are cooking the highest temp items you should be good to go. This oven does take a little trial and error when timing things just right. BUT if you are cooking something from a frozen state and then 30min later it's still frozen, there is a problem. Please give us a call so we can assist.
P.S. It is possible for the micro to heat and the 1/2 time not heat. And that would explain why you saw one of the coils coming on and off. The 1/2 time alternates with micro and covection heat.

NSNorthtrail
08-24-2009, 09:12 AM
Just spoke to Tammi at Mid West. WOW!! Great service indeed...They are sending me a new oven right away. Thanks everyone for your feedback

jmgratz
08-24-2009, 09:24 AM
Just goes to show you all you need to do is talk to the right person.:)

csalmons
08-24-2009, 09:32 AM
Thank you to everyone for the great comments. We really appreciate hearing the good stuff! We do try our best to help everyone, even if you are out of warranty so don't hesitate to call.
Thanks again, and safe driving to everyone! :)

sealman
08-24-2009, 11:03 AM
To everyone who thinks you cannot get things taken care of in a timely manner, you could be wrong. My DW and I just returned home (less than an hour ago) from a week at the lake where our Bighorn resides. Saturday ur Apollo's turntable quit turning. I was catching up on the forum and saw the post on the failure of another oven, read on a little farther and saw who to contact. Five minutes on the phone and a turntable motor is on its way. We are out of the warranty stage, as our Bighorn is 2 years old. By the way, we have had no problems with our 3100RL

sealman
08-24-2009, 11:05 AM
Oh I forgot....Thanks Tammi
John

jayc
08-24-2009, 11:24 AM
This post just points out again the value of this forum. You can get good advice from other owners and both the factory and vendors monitor it to help in any way they can.

TanDumb
08-24-2009, 01:18 PM
Wow that is a gorgeous picture. You have an awesome site at that lake!!:D

sealman
08-25-2009, 08:24 AM
We have had our 5er there for two years, it is like a vacation everytime we go to the lake. Get to spend about 50% of our time there. The sunsets are awesome. Stop by and visit sometime.
John

Candice
08-26-2009, 03:10 PM
I love the 1/2 time oven. I hope this helps. Say you are going to put frozen biscuits in that take 22 min. at 375 on the instructions. Press the 1/2 time oven button, enter 375 then 11 then start. It will show 14 min. allowing for preheating and after 14 min. from start to finish they are golden brown. Now for the bad news. Does anyone else have to turn off everything including the a/c to use their 1/2 time oven? This oven was a huge selling point for me and I expect to be able to use it with the a/c on. I'm even willing to switch the fridge to gas in the meantime but not the a/c! Anybody having the same problem?

csalmons
08-26-2009, 03:53 PM
This message is for Candice :)
With

csalmons
08-26-2009, 03:57 PM
Sorry, I pressed enter on there:) Anyway, regarding your a/c running with your 1/2 time, this oven has a 20 amp dedicated circuit, if you have a 30 amp coach, then when you are using your micro, most of your amps are being pulled to the micro. Most a/c units pull 15 amps, this would make it difficult for the a/c to run at the same time. If you have a 50 amp coach and have duel a/c units running you can run into the same problem. It just takes alot of power to run those unit. Most of the time it's worth it, but it can be annoying in the heat of summer. I just wanted you to know it's not a problem or defect, it's just having to due with the amount of power required to operate the unit. If anyone has any other questions about their 1/2 time, feel free to ask :) Thanks!

campboy
09-15-2009, 06:53 AM
Has anyone used the Halftime on generator to know what the draw is?

csalmons
09-15-2009, 08:13 AM
Campboy,
We aren't exactly sure what the draw is on a generator. But we do not recommend using a generator for a few reasons. We know that the Apollo draws 17 amps of power when running. There have been reports from customers that their ovens won't work at all on generators, but work fine when connected to land power. We also do know that generators can send "dirty signals" to the control board of the microwave unit and actually cause the control board to not work and/or to blow fuses inside the unit. Now, these instances don't always happen when a generator is used, but since the Apollo units use so much power it is not recommended to use a generator. Hopefully that information helps you out. Just post or give us a call if you have additional questions. Thank you.

NSNorthtrail
09-21-2009, 04:33 PM
Finally got my new half time oven (They were on back order fpr a couple of weeks). It was my forth one. 1st one-coolong fans would not work, 2nd one- damaged by the courier service, 3rd one- half-time option would not heat (hence the starting of this thread), 4th one- WORKS AMAZING!! I was out all weekend and used it several times. The other families we were camping with were amazed by it as well. They were bringing their supper's over to cook them in it. I cannot believe how well this products cooks the food. It truly is a 1/2 time oven! Also kudos once again to Midwest for their outstanding service.exceptional.
Peter

csalmons
09-23-2009, 12:59 PM
Peter,

Glad to hear that things finally worked in your favor and things are going well now. We are so sorry for the delays on this, sometimes shipping can knock things out of whack but the end result is good! Thank you for your patience and we are very happy that all is going well, and that you are becoming the hit of the campground :) Take care and if you have any questions just give us a call!

jimtoo
09-23-2009, 01:09 PM
Hmmmmm,,, can I change the thread tittle to "Yes" now?

Jim M

csalmons
09-23-2009, 01:44 PM
Hmmmmm,,, can I change the thread tittle to "Yes" now?

Jim M

I was hoping someone would finally say that :) I don't think we can change a thread name, I think we just have to create a new thread. Maybe a more positive one like "I like my Half-Time Oven because..." or "Tips for using the Apollo 1/2 Time Oven".

I would like to be able to share all of the good advice that this forum has to offer like cooking tips and troubleshooting tips. I don't want people only getting on the forum because they are dissappointed or frustrated with the oven. I will leave it up to one of you all to create that "positive thread".

katkens-DW
09-24-2009, 01:56 PM
I love my half time oven too. Kenny got it for my birthday and we picked it up at the rally in June.Did not use it then but while we were on vacation at the lake I sure did use it made a pie cooked biscuits with out burning them it was great I even made homemade bread in mine works great. Kathy:D:D:D

csalmons
09-24-2009, 02:37 PM
Thanks Peter for changing the thread title :)
And Kathy, glad to hear you are loving the oven! It really is a great product. We are very excited to hear all of the good things people have to say. And if there are any questions or problems please feel free to post or send a private message to me. You can always call us at 800-772-7262 to speak with our customer service girl Tammi. Thanks!!

rwoodall
09-24-2009, 07:10 PM
Hate to bring up bad news about the ½ Time but we are having problems with ours staying on. When we start it from a cold start in microwave it runs for about 2 ½ minutes then shuts down. If we start it up with something already warm or hot it only runs for 20 to 30 seconds. It is like you pulled the plug, the clock goes out and you can’t restart for about 4 minutes. The same thing happens with the ½ Time, it just shuts down.It takes 4 ½ minutes to 7 minutes before it will back on.
<O:p</O:p
Just by reading previous post it sounds like the cooling fans are not working.
Cari would appreciate any thoughts on this or what to do next.
Thanks
<O:p></O:p>
<O:p></O:p>

jbeletti
09-24-2009, 07:30 PM
Bob,

Your next step is to make the call to Midwest. They've done a great job of figuring this stuff out and when needed, replacing ovens that have gone bonkers.

Call them in the morning.

Jim

rwoodall
09-24-2009, 10:07 PM
Thanks Jim, will give them a call that seems to be the thing to do.

NSNorthtrail
09-25-2009, 08:15 PM
rwoodall,
that sounds exactly like my first oven. It was the cooling fans indeed. Midwest will fix you up perfectly. They shipped a new oven right to my door. Let us know how it goes!
Peter

rwoodall
09-27-2009, 11:11 AM
Followed the adivice and call Tammi at Mid-Western. She is aware of the problem with the cooling fan. We are on the road and picked out Wichita, KS for her to FedEx box to ship back to them for repair. They will forward the repaired oven to Linn Creek, MO for installation at Quality RV.

She said they would not be sending a new one but would repair this unit. She gave me instructions on how to remove and pack for shipment. It looks like we can get this problem correct.

Will post to this thread when unit is return and hopefully we get to cook that turkey roast in the Half Time.

csalmons
09-28-2009, 01:14 PM
Mr. Woodall,

Sorry about the delayed response here, I couldn't get on the forum this morning. I just wanted you and everyone else on the forum to understand that replacements right now are not always possible. These items are supposed to be repair and return for the customers, there are occasions where new units have to be sent but not always. Due to the economy, production of the Apollo units (as well as every other microwave on the market) has slowed, therefore there are not as many availible for warranty replacements. We are still taking care of all the customers who do have issues via a repair return process. This is actually very quick and as soon as we receive the oven here we repair it that same day and get it to ship out to you the next day. There is no need for anyone to worry. We will be able to take care of you! Thanks for your understanding and cooperation.

rwoodall
10-08-2009, 09:54 PM
Cari,
I would like to thank Tammi and the staff at Mid-Western for the repair of our Apollo Half Time microwave oven. It was the cooling fan that was defective.

Tammi had a shipping box FedEx to me at an RV Park in Wichita, KS. It got there in a couple of days. I returned the oven and it was repaired, shipped to our RV dealer in Linn Creek, MO. It arrived the same day we had schduled warranty work. We are were pleased to have our microwave back in working order.

Thanks for the help from the forum and to the Mid-Western staff.

csalmons
10-09-2009, 09:22 AM
Mr. Woodall,

We are all happy to hear things worked out as planned and that you were still able to travel. I think we have the repair and return services down pretty well, but it is always nice to hear back from customers to make sure :)

Glad to know you are on your way now, and if you have any other problems, just let me know :) Thanks!

boatto5er
10-09-2009, 10:24 AM
It is so refreshing to see Customer Service this outstanding. The whole staff at Mid-Western deserves big kudos for their efforts. Keep up the great work. There are many vendors, service organizations, and government agencies that should take a lesson from you.