Half TIme Oven - Fixed and love it!

NSNorthtrail

So I got me new Halftime oven last week. My last one didn't last 3 mins-Cooling fans were bad!! First tried out the Micro and it was flawless. Worked great! Then attempted to cook a famliy size frozen Chicken Pot Pie. The box said 400 Temp for 60 mins. So following the half time premise I set the oven for 400 at 30 mins. After 30 mins the pie was still frozen! Put it in for another 20 mins. Still Ice cold-near frozen. Put the temp to 425 and put in for another 20 mins. Still not cooked. Endedup having to cook the rest of the way with the micro. So in half time mode it was in the oven for over 70 mins!!1 It would have cooked in a reg oven in 60 mins. I then tried a frozen pizza in half time mode. What a sham!1 It said 425 for 20 mins in a reg oven soooooo I put it in T 425 FOR 13 MINS. pIZZA WAS NOT FROZEN BUT WAS NO WHERE NEAR COOKED. i Cranked it up to 450 and had to colok it for anohter 12 mins.
I do not believe in this product at all!! Yes the coil is heating in the oven. Going on and off like it should but this half time stuff is a crock!! I guess all I have is a fancy looking microwave oven.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We don't have one but everyone we have talked to that does loves theirs. Maybe yours is defective. Call customer service and discuss it with them

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Hope I don't jinx myself, but our's has worked perfectly for over two years...and the Half-Time oven is the best part!

Boca_Shuffles

Our unit works great.

This may be a silly question, especially coming from a male. Did you use the metal tray that was packed in the unit when you received it? The instructions state that the tray MUST be used for 1/2 time function.

Sorry if it was a stupid question.

kakampers

Actually, that's a great question! If it wasn't used, you will definitely have problems with it...the metal pan is required for all uses except the mircrowave.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
My wife loves it and doesn't use the conventional oven at all since we got the half-time unit. You may have a bad one.

Nell

I think yours must be defective. I have used mine a fair bit and it works exactly as it should. I really think it's great but you absolutely have to use the metal tray in order for the heat to circulate around (and underneath) your food. I would contact the manufacturer.

NSNorthtrail

Thanks for the replies eveyone. I did use the metal tray for both food items. I am thinkning that maybe it just does not do well with frozen products. Anyone have any thoughts on this??

My wife didn't know a thing about them until she went to the class at the Rally in Goshen. Now she uses it all of the time and hasn't used the gas oven at all. She said it cooks frozen products as stated on the package only half time. She thinks you need to contact the manufacturer, it must be defective.

kakampers

Thanks for the replies eveyone. I did use the metal tray for both food items. I am thinkning that maybe it just does not do well with frozen products. Anyone have any thoughts on this??

Now that I think about it, the only problem I ever had was with a frozen pizza...the first one it cooked fine, the second...not so good! Everything else, however, comes out great!

Draco Dog

NSNorthTrail,

I so enjoyed reading your message. You had me in stitches and I had to read the whole thing over a couple of times.

The 1/2 time oven is the convection oven. right?

I know this is not funny, but you just wrote it so well that I couldn't keep from laughing.

We have a Big Horn 3670BH. Purchased it 2 years ago and love it. We also have the regular conventional oven, the micro-wave oven and the convection. We have yet to figure out the 1/2 time oven. We've tried out the 1/2 time oven, but guess we have to go back to instruction #1. We tried a baked potatoe and some kind of meat (pork chops maybe). The chops were not done and the spuds were still cold.

Someday we will sit down and read the book. If all else fails, read the book.

If you figure out that strange machine, let me know. Thanks,. cheri

csalmons

So I got me new Halftime oven last week. My last one didn't last 3 mins-Cooling fans were bad!! First tried out the Micro and it was flawless. Worked great! Then attempted to cook a famliy size frozen Chicken Pot Pie. The box said 400 Temp for 60 mins. So following the half time premise I set the oven for 400 at 30 mins. After 30 mins the pie was still frozen! Put it in for another 20 mins. Still Ice cold-near frozen. Put the temp to 425 and put in for another 20 mins. Still not cooked. Endedup having to cook the rest of the way with the micro. So in half time mode it was in the oven for over 70 mins!!1 It would have cooked in a reg oven in 60 mins. I then tried a frozen pizza in half time mode. What a sham!1 It said 425 for 20 mins in a reg oven soooooo I put it in T 425 FOR 13 MINS. pIZZA WAS NOT FROZEN BUT WAS NO WHERE NEAR COOKED. i Cranked it up to 450 and had to colok it for anohter 12 mins.
I do not believe in this product at all!! Yes the coil is heating in the oven. Going on and off like it should but this half time stuff is a crock!! I guess all I have is a fancy looking microwave oven.

I am sorry I didn't get to post right when you had this problem. I would say there is something wrong with your micro and you should give us a call. I have one in my home and it cooks frozen items just fine, so there is an issue there with yours. Please give us a call at 800-772-7262 and we would be happy to help you out. Please talk with Tammi and we will get things figured out for you. The 1/2 time should work faster and better than the convection or the whole meal option ( I've had my oven for about 3 years and have never used either of those options). Depending on altitude the temp should be set based on what you are cooking and what the packaging reads. Sometimes the directions are different on meals cooked from a frozen state. And it is mandatory that you use the metal try like other on the forum have said. You can actually damage your oven if you don't. The oven does take time to heat up so if you are cooking something over the 400 degree mark, you might need to add a few extra min. If you are cooking a couple of items, start with the lowest temp item and build yourself up to the higher one, this lets the oven gradually heat up so by the time you are cooking the highest temp items you should be good to go. This oven does take a little trial and error when timing things just right. BUT if you are cooking something from a frozen state and then 30min later it's still frozen, there is a problem. Please give us a call so we can assist.
P.S. It is possible for the micro to heat and the 1/2 time not heat. And that would explain why you saw one of the coils coming on and off. The 1/2 time alternates with micro and covection heat.

NSNorthtrail

Just spoke to Tammi at Mid West. WOW!! Great service indeed...They are sending me a new oven right away. Thanks everyone for your feedback

csalmons

Thank you to everyone for the great comments. We really appreciate hearing the good stuff! We do try our best to help everyone, even if you are out of warranty so don't hesitate to call.
Thanks again, and safe driving to everyone! :)

sealman

To everyone who thinks you cannot get things taken care of in a timely manner, you could be wrong. My DW and I just returned home (less than an hour ago) from a week at the lake where our Bighorn resides. Saturday ur Apollo's turntable quit turning. I was catching up on the forum and saw the post on the failure of another oven, read on a little farther and saw who to contact. Five minutes on the phone and a turntable motor is on its way. We are out of the warranty stage, as our Bighorn is 2 years old. By the way, we have had no problems with our 3100RL

Attachments

• IMG_0024.jpg
    IMG_0024.jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0025.jpg
    IMG_0025.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 35