Are you serious???

Wallace

Well I was loving my new 1 month old 3912 Cyclone until my wife said something is wrong with the camper it is making a noise:confused:???
Very long story short...my converter went bad allowing the deep cycle battery to drain down shutting of the fridge and setting off the co detector:(.
So that's just the first of it....
I started to dig for the converter and after removing the walls in the basement:eek: OMG Heartland you outta be ashamed of your selfs.
You have never see such as disgrace in workmanship.
Being a business owner and having to assemble compact tractors adding loader, backhoes, cabs, aux hydraulics....I would never let something out of my shop looking like this...
Heartland where is your inspectors??? wait how about just pride?

Guys and girls I'm sorry but this kind of workmanship is no where near the price of what I paid for my rig.

Trust me I am not venting just because my converter went bad this fast..shoot for that matter I have already order a brand new converter.

My biggest upset is that half the plumbing will have to be redone or else from a period of time travailing I will have holes worn through.

I wish I would have got a picture of my converter the intake fan was half full of sawdust:rolleyes:.

The 1X1 frame wall that the attachés the basement walls was not even screwed to anything:confused:???

Sorry for venting but the deeper I dig the more I get frustrated.:(

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The tangled mess behind the basement walls is a common complaint. Unfortunately, it is unlikely to get corrected anytime in the near future. Some owners clean it up themselves, which should not be, but is the reality. Glad you mentioned the sawdust in the converter fan. I need to check around mine next visit to the CG. But it's been running continously since May when we parked it on-site without any sign of a problem.

If your rig is new, did you contact HL about it before just buying a replacement? Maybe if the dirt and sloppiness starts costing them warranty claims, it might help to change the QC.

Wallace

I did call them before I started to tear into it.
I also called my dealer and they said I would need to email their warranty dept which I did I would suspect they would warranty it but I am okay with having a spare.

tmcran

Amen on the saw dust. I have vaced one bag of saw dust from behind the basemant walls, under the bed of the front bedroom slide and under the stairs to the front bedroom. Today I removed the radio from the entertainment center to check the connections and guess what. Three pieces of cut out wood, 4 screws, and saw dust everywhere. I blew a mess of saw dust out of the radio. It is a wonder the radio works at all. At last count I have found 63 screws in various places in the RV. It continues to amaze me the lack of quality control and lack of pride in a job well done. I will say HL has been helpful and supportive on all the problems I have had as well as my dealer. And about now I'm sure we will hear that all RV's have these problems ......Well why?

2010augusta

As others have mentioned on other threads the rats nest of plumbing and electrical work is standard on most if not all trailers in this price-point, if you want to pay an extra $30K-$50K then you might get plumbing and electrical systems that look better. Until the entire industry changes, then I doubt that any of the manufactures will change their methods of installation work. This is still no excuse for allowing trailer to leave the factory like this.

imchud

Keep searching these post... Wow, you are in no way alone. How sad it is that you spend so much money on what you thing is quality until you look behind door number 1... although, despite the problems i have had, I still love my 3385.................. So far:rolleyes:.

JohnDar

I did call them before I started to tear into it.
I also called my dealer and they said I would need to email their warranty dept which I did I would suspect they would warranty it but I am okay with having a spare.

Cool :cool:.

tmcran

As others have mentioned on other threads the rats nest of plumbing and electrical work is standard on most if not all trailers in this price-point, if you want to pay an extra $30K-$50K then you might get plumbing and electrical systems that look better. Until the entire industry changes, then I doubt that any of the manufactures will change their methods of installation work. This is still no excuse for allowing trailer to leave the factory like this.

I don't understnad why it would cost 30K-50K to have the wiring and plumbing done in an acceptable manner. That is basic work. I don't pay extra for the wiring in my truck, tractor, and house to be neat and tidy. It actually takes less time and money to do it in a neat and orderly way.

JohnDar

It wouldn't cost $30K to have Bubba stick a shop-vac hose in there before they attach the basement walls. The wiring/plumbing/HVAC mess is a whole 'nuther story. But laying it all out in an organized fashion instead of a pile should not astronomically increase the cost of the trailer. The savings in material would probably pay for the added attention to detail.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Wallace:
Follow this link and read the posts.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=9903

The plus to me finding all this in my trailer, once I went through the basement and all the other places including the underbelly, I have had zero problems with the electrical or plumbing.
I am now very familiar with my trailer. I do believe by cleaning the wiring and plumbing up I have avoided several potential problems.

It did not take very long to do either. Once the shock:eek: wears off, it was actually fun and a good experience. The hardest part was putting the under belly back up. Really a two person job.

JohnDar

And somewhere in the middle of that long thread was a post from Bryan Walczak stating that the issue had been discussed at the plant meeting. Would be interesting to know the outcome of that discussion. Steps to correct, business as usual, what? We'd all like to brag that the beauty of our rigs is more than just skin deep.

rick_debbie_gallant

Ah but don't forget grasshopper, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder", and sometimes "beauty is only skin deep". And to really get into cliches, how bout "one persons trash is another persons treasure":D:D:D:D:D Oh yeah and the best one "Love is blind";);) Do you want more?

JohnDar

Ah but don't forget grasshopper, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder", and sometimes "beauty is only skin deep". And to really get into cliches, how bout "one persons trash is another persons treasure":D:D:D:D:D Oh yeah and the best one "Love is blind";);) Do you want more?

Ahhhh soooo, venerable master. If you're an expert on putting worms on a fish hook, does that make you a master.....? (hint: rhymes with waiter).

geeksrus

the rats nest of plumbing and electrical work is standard on most if not all trailers in this price-point

I choose to dis-agree... my 2003 Cardinal, which was at lower price tier than my current Big Horn, DID NOT HAVE THIS CRAP!

I'm really amazed that a company like Heartland wants to be known as NO BETTER THAN THE REST!

Eh!

combine_billy

I will have to echo the disappointment. Taking my 3912 to the dealer tomorrow to have a slug of things fixed. Very disappointing.:(

Triber

I have to say that the first time I took a look into the sub basement of our '09 3679Rl, I was dismayed at the "rats nest" of plumbing and wiring. I agree that the units should not leave the factory like that but at the same time, when you consider the fast production line methods used to build these rigs, it is not surprising. I spent the first six months of ownership fixing and improving sloppy wiring and plumbing installations but the plus of that is that I know my rig inside out and I'm confident in its reliability now.

I also have to say that in April of this year, we completed a 30000Km (18600M) trip around North America through 9 Canadian provinces and 23 States and we had no major problems and no component failures on our rig. I had quite a few people tell me of major structural problems (broken welds, cracked frames, front nose cones separating and so on) as well as horror stories of electrical and plumbing disasters. None of these involved Heartland products but many involved High end ($150 000 and up) rigs. Although I would like to see better attention to quality, I have to say that our Big Horn stacks up very well against more expensive units out there.

rick_debbie_gallant

Just got through "opening up the belly of the beast" to check out the wireing and plumbing of my 2010 BH 3670rl. The wiring and plumbing did not look all that bad, in fact it looked pretty good. The only problem I can see is the length of flex duct that runs from the "furnace" to the master suite. Instead of using just 4 to 5 feet to reach the duct the craftsman that did the heating must have used about 10- 12 feet. It kind of looked like a boa constricter all twisty and turny. I counted no fewer than 3:eek: 90 degree turns and one that was so sharp, well lets just say it has to be kinked.

I did put some hinges on the acces panel for ease of opening. I will address the duct work when I get a chance. But all in all it looked pretty good:). Not sure of the born on date, maybe it was after all of the complaints.

jbeletti

Hi Rick and Debbie,

Thanks for noticing :)

Last week when I flagged this up to the plant again, they responded that they have begun taking steps to clean-up this area the build. I stopped into the plant the day after and sure enough - it was better. Not perfect mind you, but efforts are being made.

I also want to add for those interested that where possible, the plant is starting to "put the converter up" and off the floor of the utility area. I looked at units on the line and saw some with the converter mounted higher and some still mounted to the floor. So effort is being made. They are easily able to do this in some models where others are more of a challenge.

The factory is listening and changes are always being made based on your feedback. Thank you!

Jim

Ya know this is what ive been trying to explain to people on this web site about the Heartland campers . the behind the wall QC is nothing short of discussing in my point of view.Ive not said what kind of 5th i own so as not to taint the discussion, and was was very dissapointed in Heartland when the first behind the wall pictures came up on the site last year and NO ONES LISTENING. IF I done this kind of work in my job i would have been out of buisiness 30 years ago. Because of what ive seen here on these complaints im not spending 60 thousand plus for one of these ill keep what i have UNTIL HEARTLAND GETS THIER ACT TOGETHER!!. Greg