Different profile replacement tire

trvlrerik

I have been looking for replacements for the 16" E Missions on my Cyclone. I am currently running 235/80/16 I found a tire shop that is selling Michellin XPS rib E load range at a very good price, but they are 235/85/16. Does changing the profile of the tire cause any problems. The tire guy at the shop tells me that they will work for rims 7 1/2" to 8" wide but may ride a little taller.

Does anybody have any experience with this?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Trvlrerik, I think they are only about a half inch taller. Many owners have replaced their tires with the Michelins.

geeksrus

When I had the same Michelin's installed the only difference was the gap between the tires... had to get new plates for my RotoChoks.

Eh!

Paul_in_MN

I saw some new Heartland trailers at my dealer last week, and they are now coming from the factory with Goodyear 235/85/R16. And they have the real load rating for this size tire of 3400 lbs, compared to the Towmax 235/80/R16 on my 2010 trailer of 3020 lbs. I talked with my tire dealer about the reputation for the Towmax, and he said "not to worry", just check air pressure every day on the road (when tire is cool) to make sure I haven't picked up a nail or something else. He felt that most tire failures were due to low tire pressure on a fully loaded tire.

Paul in MN