Eye and Nose Irritation

T

tgboyd

Scott,

We purchased our unit in March and have not had a chance to go on any extended trips but every time we go into the unit our eyes burn and our noses start to run. After a short time we start to get headaches. I have left the unit open with the screen doors closed but it still irritates our eyes and nose. Have you had any other situations like this? Is there anything you suggest? It is a shame to spend so much money and have this happen. We are in Texas and there is quite a bit of heat--would that have anything to do with it? Appreciate any help you could give us. One of the selling points was no formaldehyde in the unit but there is something in the unit that is really irritating to the eyes and nose.

Thanks, Tom

kuldaddy

Tom,
We had an issue with the overflow/vent on our gas tank and when the tank was full it would leak (outside) and cause a gas smell inside the unit. Dealer repaired, not sure exactly what they did. If you have this problem I would think you could smell the gas. Anyway just a thought for something to look for.

Eric

Scott

tgboyd,
While we use formaldehyde-free insulation in our coaches, it can still be found in the paneling and possible the adhesives used to adhere the flooring in place on your Cyclone.
If they come out with formaldehyde-free panels in this industry, I'm sure we would use them for you.
ST

gkharris

Tom,
Formeldehyde is not the only chemical that is off-gassed in new RVs (and homes). Acetone, ammonia, glycols are all commonly used in building materials. Besides insulation, paint and carpet, plywood and particle board and adhesives can off-gas. I find these things don't bother me at all, but my wife gets the burning eyes, runny nose, headache you mention in almost any new RV, especially in hot weather. She's fine in the used RV we purchased, so I believe we will always have to buy used. I can only suggest keeping the unit as open and ventilated as possible since it sounds like you two are also sensitive. Hopefully the effects will diminish with time.
Gary

T

tgboyd

Gary,

Thank you for the input. We have left it open for several days hoping it would eventually clear up. Hopefully it will "cook" out of there.

Tom

kuldaddy

Tom,
I don't have this problem, but my wife told me she does when it has been sitting closed up for a couple of days or more. She runs in and opens the windows for a bit before going in for an extended period and this seems to help. You would think as hot as it is here it would "cook" out pretty quick!!

Eric

RugRat

Tom -

Saw this on another site. Don't know if it works or not, but you could give it a try.

Caused by Formaldehyde, cured with ammonia. Pour a cup of household ammonia in an aluminum pan and leave it in your closed up 5er for 24 to 48 hours, then air out the 5er for an hour or so. If that does not completely eliminate the burning eyes, repeat the process one more time. Here is a web site that talks about it.

T

tgboyd

RugRat,

Thank you so much for the input. I will give it a try and let you know how it goes. Appreciate the help.

Tom

T

tgboyd

Ammonia Worked

It worked! The ammonia got rid of the irritation. We will probably do it again over time but we spent the whole weekend in and out of the unit and no problems. I put the ammonia in glass bowls all through the unit and left it closed for 3 days. Thanks again for making the effort to help us.:)

Tom