More storage fo those with generators

2010augusta

If you have a factory installed generator or even the generator prep, you already know how much of the front storage area the box takes. I have bee trying to find a good way to get some of that storage area back. I finally got the push I needed when we bought a 13' Cosco ladder and reailzed it would not fit in the large storage box on the bed of the F-450.

What I did was clear enough stuff out of the basement to get access to the entire front wall. I then remove the lights and all the trim and other screws holding the wall in place. I then removed the wall and made some measurements for how much to cut out of the wall. It ended up being just over 13" tall and about 5' long, from the edge of the DS propane compartment. What I accomplished was, creating an access the the area above the generator box, and it added over 8 cubic feet of storage to our basement, just enough room to store 32' of 4' tall dog pen and the ladder. I have saved the piece I cut out and may reattach it to the ceiling with hinges if dust and water coming into the rest of the basement become an issue, but I do not think it will.

I also relocated the light from the front wall to the ceiling, so now I can actually use it when the lid of the tool box is open.

I am also cutting down the cover for the washer/dryer utilities to fit snugger and give a couple extra inches of clearance.

Attachments

• DSCN6412.JPG
    DSCN6412.JPG
    150.6 KB · Views: 280
  • DSCN6413.JPG
    DSCN6413.JPG
    180.9 KB · Views: 276
  • DSCN6414.JPG
    DSCN6414.JPG
    148.1 KB · Views: 268
  • DSCN6416.JPG
    DSCN6416.JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 255

jbeletti

Nice Alan. That is lost space up there. Cool that you were able to unlock it. Are your dog cages resting on top of the sheet metal gen box? Wonder it it will hold up? Probably. I carry 4 of those dog pens and they take up a full foot of depth on my sliding tray. Be nice to put them elsewhere, although a bit harder to get out when needed.

Thanks for sharing this cool mod.

Jim

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Pretty neat idea. That area above the top of the door in the front compartment is pretty much dead space anyways, unless you're a contortionist. I finally picked up one of those ladders a few weeks ago. I think one of my Little Giant step platforms for my ladder at home might work with it. I'll give it a try later this week. My basement isn't quite as loaded, so I secure it to the front wall inside the basement. All my chairs and the screen tent go in the the front (no gen box).

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Great mod. My only question is how much weight did that add overall and to the pin weight?

porthole

Retired
We use 32' feet of the pens also. Isn't it a bit of a chore getting them out of that space or can you retrieve them through the front door?

I have been looking for a way to reclaim that space too, figured it would also be a preemptive strike to making access to the landing gear motor.

Right now our pens are on the bottom of the basement pile, and they usually need to be the 2nd item out - after the ground mats.

jbeletti

Duane,

Consider a roll-out storage tray. Well designed, installed and loaded, they can be very effective. I have the Lippert model in my unit but in my last unit, I designed and ordered a Slide Master model from Innovative Industries. I think mine was the M2D.

I have 8 large totes on it (4 per end, side by side and stacked). In the center, I have 4 dog pens, collapsed, standing up on the long edge. Behind the pens I have the cart for my Weber Q grill. On the cart I have the Weber Q grill in a rolling duffle. In an around some of this stuff, I have a folding cart, bottle jack and more.

I mounted that unit close to the front most end of the bay door opening. But it still left room on the floor for my 7' long folding step ladder. Then between the unit and the utility bulkhead, I have about 18" of width on the floor by the width of the RV for other stuff. Worked for me. Better than the off-the-shelf Lippert unit does too.

Some old pictures of it in my '05 Landmark.

Jim

porthole

Retired
Consider a roll-out storage tray. Well designed, installed and loaded, they can be very effective. I have the Lippert model in my unit but in my last unit, I designed and ordered a Slide Master model from Innovative Industries. I think mine was the M2D.

Jim,

I have been considering these since our last trailer, but have been concerned about the 3-4" of usable space that I would lose to the tray. I think right now I am using all but the upper 3" of storage :confused:

I can also see from your pictures now where you get some of the extra basement storage from. With the drop frame the basement floor is lowered, looks like it adds 10-12" of extra height.

bottle jack and more.

Just to clarify, is that a bottle jack or a bottle OF Jack :D

This pic gave me another good idea.
I will be getting another one of these 94" hose carriers. I was going to mount it under the trailer just behind the rear axle. This tube is perfect for my flag pole (same one you saw at PA). I was concerned a little about the security and the flag getting damp. This solve both problems.

//heartlandowners.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=467&d=1130637950

2010augusta

Great mod. My only question is how much weight did that add overall and to the pin weight?

Well the ladder is about 30-40 lbs and the pen is 40-50 lbs so it adds about probably 50-60 lbs to the pin.

It is very easy to get to the ladder and dog pen, as the top of the toolbox is the same level as to opening and both will slide right out. I might have to move the tent out of the way but that is very minor.

jbeletti

Cheryl,

Yeah - gotta love those metal pens. Heavy but sturdy.

Duane,

Bottle Jack for sure. I don't do the bottle of Jack. Now, a bottle of Captain Morgan, that's another story, for yet another rally :)

Jim

porthole

Retired
Bottle Jack for sure. I don't do the bottle of Jack. Now, a bottle of Captain Morgan, that's another story, for yet another rally :)

Jim

I'm with you on the Capt. Jack was an old friend - but no more :(

Although, my proper English in-laws have twisted me on to an English version version of the Scottish Rusty Nail :eek: