Connecting to the outside propane outlet

annirroc

What do you need to do to connect the outside propane outlet to propane appliances that are designed to use with the disposable containers? We had a hose made up that connects the trailer's propane outlet to our Coleman camp stove but couldn't get it to draw from the source. (Very strange that the connecting hoses aren't around, at least at the RV dealers. We ended up getting one custom made, however, with no luck though.)

We used to use a cookstove on our older tent trailer that was connected direct (from the factory) with no problems. Seems to make sense since we are hauling around 40 lbs of propane anyways (vs. packing several of those green bottles). Help?

Paul_in_MN

Did you notice the in line LP gas valve just behing the quick connect? The handle of the valve should be in line with the gas pipe for it to be "on". I am not sure what type of quick connect male fitting is needed for the remote gas line, but I have seen it done with a standard air compresser fitting, available at NAPA or other auto parts stores. Is this the same as what Heartland is using?

Paul in MN

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
CW sell's the adapters and the hoses for what you are doing. We have them on our BH and it works just fine. Bob:D

Larry77

Same problem I'm having...I was able to attach it to my Coleman but it is double regulated...not enough flow to cook with. Why make such a useful function but no way to use it?

MurrayN.

When I got my new Sundance this year it came with the curbside propane hookup, which was a new feature for me. I used to hookup through a Marshall extend-a-flow hose adapter on my old trailer directly onto my main trailer tanks. With the new trailer and my portable bbq I purchased a 10 ' hose with the female nut on the one end to connect to my bbq and a 1/4 " male end on the other end for the trailer. It looks like a common air hose nozzle but is not quite the same. I just plug it into the quick coupler, turn on the small shutoff valve immediately behind the quick coupler, and away it goes. Works like a charm. As long as your main propane tanks are turned on and the little shutoff behind the coupler is on I don't know why it wouldn't work. Good Luck:)

2010augusta

Can you post a picture of the connection on the trailer? Is the connector plumbed in before or after the dual stage regulator? if it is after the regulator there might be an issue with too many regulator, and you might need to bypass the regulator on the camp stove. Propane leaves the dual-stage regulator on the trailer a 0.6 psi and that might not be able to open the regulator on the camp stove.

2010augusta

I have used the type of hose/adapter pictured below, but it screws into the left-hand threads on the inside of the ODP valve and then into the regulator of the camp stove, and it works. But since the propane in the hose is at tank pressure the stove will continue to burn for about 15 seconds after the tank valve is closed.

The second picture is the tank end with left hand threads and the third picture is the camp stove end.

Attachments

• DSCN6417.JPG
    DSCN6417.JPG
    159.7 KB · Views: 44
  • DSCN6418.JPG
    DSCN6418.JPG
    160.1 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCN6419.JPG
    DSCN6419.JPG
    169.2 KB · Views: 37

annirroc

Thanks for the pics. We actually have two hoses: one that connects the propane tank to the camp stove and one that connects the propane outlet on the Edge to the camp stove. Connecting the camp stove direct to the propane tank works. Connecting to the trailer outlet doesn't. Not sure why. :confused:

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
2 things, there might be a restriction in the line (blockage) or there is a shut off valve up stream from the fitting. Do you have pressure coming out of the line??

2010augusta

Thanks for the pics. We actually have two hoses: one that connects the propane tank to the camp stove and one that connects the propane outlet on the Edge to the camp stove. Connecting the camp stove direct to the propane tank works. Connecting to the trailer outlet doesn't. Not sure why. :confused:

Probably a pressure issue or too many regulators.

irvin56

low pressure side on trailer

The fitting on trailer is on the low press. side of regulator.

You need to buy a different hose setup and bypass stove regulator, but will only be good for your trailer hookup.
Hose would go from quick coupler on trailer to inlet fitting on stove

The stove has a regulater that is for full presure from tank.

porthole

Retired
I plumbed in a quick connect at the beginning of the gas pipe. That didn't work for my grill. SO I still use the tap that goes between the tank and regulator.

I was able to remove the regulator from my little portable propane "campfire". That will work with the quick connect, but not quite as high a flame as when using the supplied regulator and hose.