Will my Dodge 2500 Tow a 3010?

I am close to buying a new 3010. I have a 06 dodge 2500 mega cab diesel. Is this enough truck to pull the 3010 down the rad or do I need to go with a 1 ton truck?

2010augusta

Well the specs from heartland say the 3010 has a pin weight of about 2,500 lbs and a GVWR of 14,000lbs. I don't the exact drive-train of your truck, but it apperrs the the 2500 mege-cab has a pay-load/ pin weight capicity of 1,500 lbs and a trailer capicity of 12,500, so you your be over weight by 1,000 pounds in the bed and 1,500 for the GCVW. Check the links in this post for more info.

sgtbigb

2500 mega cab

I tow a 3610 RE about 14500K, no prolems, tow like nothing is back there. Over wieght that depends on hoe you feel!:rolleyes:

porthole

Retired
FWIW:

My 3010 on delivery had a 14000 GVW.
The door sticker cargo capacity is 1630.

That means my trailer out the door weighed 12370. That is with the generator and washer dryer combo in the front closet.

The pin weight when I checked at the dealer with some of my stuff loaded up was 2500.

I am using a 2006 GMC 2500HD D/A. I also put air bags in and would consider that a necessity to adjust the ride to my comfort.

Definately add air bags...my husband installed ours. It made a whole world of difference. We pull our 3950 with 2500 Cummins Diesel extended cab. We will upgrade in the future, but for now the 2500 will do. We are not FT'ers yet. So it is doing a nice job so far.

SherwoodDavis

2009.Me.&.Her
I'll third, or fourth the air bags, they make a huge difference. With the heavy trailer and pin weight you may miss the stability that comes from a one ton supension and duals. At or below highway speeds you will probably be fine.

caissiel

I just removed a spring ply on the back of my F250. The owners before me had installed 2 extra plies on the rear spring. I hauled my new trailer with it and found the ride was to rough in the rear end so I removed one ply to smooth the ride on the truck. With the fresh water tank 2/3 full, and one gray tank 1/2 full and the washer/Dryer combo in the front, I hooked up my truck on the trailer and the helper springs are not touching the rubbers yet and the rear is just 1in lower then the front. I will take it on the same road as I drove last week and see how it rides. I still have the option of adding the plies again. I had over 2500Lbs pin weight on my GM 2500 and it drove great for 9 years and 100K miles with the original shocks and springs.

I tow a BH 3670RL with no problem...not even any strain on take-off. Dry weight is 12,500 lbs. I read an article not long ago that stated the average camper carried about 2000 lbs worth of stuff, and the average full timer carried 3000 lbs worth of added weight. With this considered, I know I'm probably a little over my limit, but the truck seems to be saying "no big deal". ;) As others have mentioned, I am contemplating adding some air bags for added support and for a more level ride as it sits the bed down some...but not much.

2010augusta

I read an article not long ago that stated the average camper carried about 2000 lbs worth of stuff, and the average full timer carried 3000 lbs worth of added weight.

I guess we are above average, cause we come in closer to 4,000 pound of stuff. Maybe 1,000 pounds of that is for the dogs?:D?:D

caissiel

We moved out of the trailer last year, because we spend the winter in the wonderfull cold North of Canada on the 56th parallel, and when we moved back in, I weighted everything that went back in the old trailer, I came up with 867 Ibs and added the washer/Dryer at 138Lbs, it came very close to 1000Lbs. I was very surprised because we do carry a lot. But when I bought this new unit, we packed everything back in and we had to get lots of containers to store the stuff in the storage compartment, I Knew the old trailer had lots of storage but i do enjoy the extra open space in the new unit.

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
What will I do?????

I have been a deisel driver for longer than I wish to remember. I have pulled everything from small trailers to massive construction rigs. I am new to this site (just bought a Bighorn) and am amazed at how worried and scared many are about what truck/trailer combo they have. Bottom line is the PSD (7.3, 6.0) will pull absolutely anything you throw at them, but when you talk about what is supporting the PSD (truck) that is where the limits apply. The 7.3 or 6.0 is the same in every single truck, period! Only the truck is differant. Now that being said. The 250 and the 350 are so similar that the only differance is an extra leaf spring (supporting wieght) and a slightly (I mean slightly) differant axle. Now installing air bags raises the weight capability of the bed and quite a lot ( up to 4000#) and there comes the next problem, tires. Well the solution is 10 ply tread and 6 ply sidewall, works great and will forever! NO you do not need DRW, looks good but don't need them. The heaviest trailer I pull is 22,000# and it really is a lot, don't go long distance but pull it often, which brings up the next item..............stopping! Be smart, begin early to slow the speed..............don't care what you are driving, if you have to stop fast and are pulling a 5er.........ain't gona happen!!!!! Drive the truck for what you are pulling, think (some simply can't do this) ahead and don't drive like you are in a car...you are NOT! Know how to apply trailer brakes to stop skids without touching your truck breaks, know how to decend grades (hint........not in high gear), know what is ahead and by all means if a dog runs out in front of you.....RUN HIM OVER, and I mean that with all my heart! Try to miss him and you will hit him anyway and roll your 5er in the process. Drive a mile ahead of yourself and you will have no problem. A final word, if you are pulling a 5er and your speedometer says 80 MPH..............you are an idiot!

truknutt

Committed Member
... Now installing air bags raises the weight capability of the bed and quite a lot ( up to 4000#) ...

Be careful how you interpret this statement... The vehicle's rear axle weight rating does not increase. Bags simply assist the existing suspension.

The following comes from Firestone's Ride-Rite website:

Ride-Rite™ air helper springs mount between the frame and the suspension of light-trucks, vans, and motorhomes. The heavy-duty convoluted air springs will handle all leveling needs with load carrying capacities between 3,200-5,000 lbs per set*.
Ride-Rite™ air helper springs will:

• [*]Level the vehicle front-to-rear & side-to-side
    [*]Adjustability 5-100 p.s.i.
    [*]Stabilize the vehicle while loaded
    [*]Maximize vehicles load carrying capacity
*Do Not Exceed The Vehicle's Recommended Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR)

This following is from Air Lift Company's website:

Features and benefits of LoadLifter 5000
• Brute strength our toughest add-on bags for your heaviest loads, right up to manufacturer recommended gross vehicle weight rating.
• Rugged 2-ply fabric reinforced air springs are built like a tire.
• Fully adjustable, to keep your vehicle riding level and comfortable, whether loaded, towing or light, on any road conditions!
• Engineered to be easy to install in two hours or less.
• Many popular kits require no drilling!
• Up to 5,000 pounds of leveling capacity.*
• Air adjustable from 5 to 100 psi, for maximum comfort to
maximum load support.
• Easy to install, with full illustrated instructions.
• Quick connecting easy-to-use engineered polymer air fittings.
• Tough, reinforced air bellows for long-lasting strength.
• Life time limited warranty, no mileage limitation

*Never exceed manufacturer's recommended Gross Vehicle Weight Rating.