Automatic propane bottle switch

D2Wilsn

We have a 2010 Sundance 3200RE, which was manufactured in mid-June of this year. When one propane bottle is empty, does it automatically switch over to the other propane bottle, or do you need to manually switch it?

D

Dave Willis

There is a switch on the valve in the middle and if it's turned to the right, it will only run the right tank and when that is empty you will have to manually turn the valve to the left for the left tank. If you put the switch straight up it will run both tanks at the same time and you do not have to switch them. The only thing is when you run them both at the same time and run out, you're out of gas.

Thanks,

StevenJ

On my 08 bighorn 3600RL my regulator would drain both tanks regardless of where the lever was set. I replaced it under warranty and the new one does the same. I never had the lever pointed straight up, but had it boths ways and had the same results. Also I noticed the gas would seep out the line to the tank when it disconnected and the lever pointed to the other tank. I would think it shouldn't? Any advice?:rolleyes:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Lemme see if I recall the explanation: With both tanks open and switch pointing to one tank, that tank is the "service" tank. The other is the "reserve." Initially, the indicator will be green. When the service tank is depleted, the indicator will change to red and the regulator will draw from the reserve tank. You go check, see red, switch regulator over to the formerly reserve tank, indicator goes green again and you go get empty one filled. That's in a perfect world.

Here in reality, the service tank will draw down to about 1/4 and then the regulator will start drawing off the reserve. The indicator will remain a jolly green. You'll go out there, see a frost line still on the service tank when you think it should be empty, lift the reserve tank, and find it's empty. :eek: Neighbors get ears burnt from your tirade. :mad::mad::mad: Children cry, women tremble, weak men hide.

Moral of story: open one tank at a time and check it frequently when running off propane. Or find out who has 24 hour propane service.

D

Dave Willis

I have sent this over to our service dept to see if they can help you. They should be getting with you tomorrow.

Thanks,

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Mine works as designed. The tank with the switch pointing to it runs empty, I flip the switch, indicator turns green, I fill the empty tank and wait for the flag to go red again for the other tank. No issues in 3 years. I must be lucky. Now that I've said that...:rolleyes:

Marshall 250 auto changeover gas valve

If you have this it works like and tests like this. Marshall has more info
on the web.

Attachments

• marshall.pdf
    103.3 KB · Views: 80

fhollan

Ditto!

Lemme see if I recall the explanation: With both tanks open and switch pointing to one tank, that tank is the "service" tank. The other is the "reserve." Initially, the indicator will be green. When the service tank is depleted, the indicator will change to red and the regulator will draw from the reserve tank. You go check, see red, switch regulator over to the formerly reserve tank, indicator goes green again and you go get empty one filled. .

Good explanation JohnDar. That's the way it's suppose to work and that's the way mine works. You do have to check the indicator at times.

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
It sounds like some units come with automatic changeovers and some come with manual changeovers. I know mine is automatic.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
It sounds like some units come with automatic changeovers and some come with manual changeovers. I know mine is automatic.
Chuck, I think all units that come with 2 LP bottles have the auto change over regulator. Some owners, for various reasons, have chosen to use theirs manually. Some regulators have had problems though I don't think it's very many.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Chuck, I think all units that come with 2 LP bottles have the auto change over regulator. Some owners, for various reasons, have chosen to use theirs manually. Some regulators have had problems though I don't think it's very many.

And some of us have forgotten to open the valve on the second tank, so when the first gets empty it tries to switch over but can't and then you wake up in the middle of the night wondering why you're cold and the furnace is cutting on and off every five minutes:eek:.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
When you change bottles and reinstall a new one remember this:
The hoses that hook up to the tank have a built in valve that detects excessive flow. So if you have something running on propane turned on (such as Fridge or water heater) and you turn on a newly installed propane tank and turn on the tank, the hose detects an excessive flow and the internal valve will shut off the flow. Moral is to be sure all of the propane devices are turned off in the RV when turning on the propane tank to allow the propane to fill the hose. Then you can turn on the device and will have no problem.

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
Gas to gen set? has anyone experienced a problem here? Our gen worked great then would not start and run. Everything propane in the trialer works. I am wondering if the hose has a control as mentioned in a previous post. I have an appointment at cummins on July 7. We live in Saskatchewan Canada and are holidaying in Oregon, our appointment is in Eugene. Until we get the problem solved we cannot dry camp.