Power Awning trouble...again

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Well, campers, a week or so ago, I could not get the Dometic 9100 to come in out of the rain. It finally did work and seemed to be OK after that. When we left, it rolled back in no problem and all seemed fine. We've returned today and went to extend the awning and...nothing. Stupid thing will not respond to the switch. All I get is a clunk, like some kind of solenoid is engaging, but nothing else. Called Dometic and got the same info I gleaned off their website as far as local repair sites. Called one and their tech is off until next Tuesday...call back. Called the other and got his voicemail... left a message. I am not interested in pulling up stakes and hauling this rig and that P.o.C. awning for repair. Got to be on site and warranty. Only way it's going any place before the end of September is if I rip the bleeping thing off with a crowbar.

thomasinnv

usually the warranty will cover a mobile repair if you pay the service call dispatch fee. might cost you $75 or so for the fee, or you might get lucky and find a mobile guy that will work with you on the charges.

Bobby A

Well, campers, a week or so ago, I could not get the Dometic 9100 to come in out of the rain. It finally did work and seemed to be OK after that. When we left, it rolled back in no problem and all seemed fine. We've returned today and went to extend the awning and...nothing. Stupid thing will not respond to the switch. All I get is a clunk, like some kind of solenoid is engaging, but nothing else. Called Dometic and got the same info I gleaned off their website as far as local repair sites. Called one and their tech is off until next Tuesday...call back. Called the other and got his voicemail... left a message. I am not interested in pulling up stakes and hauling this rig and that P.o.C. awning for repair. Got to be on site and warranty. Only way it's going any place before the end of September is if I rip the bleeping thing off with a crowbar.

John, I feel your frustration, I have the same awning and always seem to have to cross my fingers and say a prayer everytime I use my awning. When you find a mobile repair guys, please share with us what the problem was and the fix. Thanks, hang in there buddy.

JohnDar

John, I feel your frustration, I have the same awning and always seem to have to cross my fingers and say a prayer everytime I use my awning. When you find a mobile repair guys, please share with us what the problem was and the fix. Thanks, hang in there buddy.

Will do. The report part, that is. I don't come up here to wait around for service techs to return calls and stick it to me to come onsite to fix a warranty issue with a poorly engineered product. That awning has not been opened/closed more than 10 times.:mad:

combine_billy

I used my electric awning exactly one time. Didn't work the second time. Had to put a new motor on it. I have now used the new one one time, so I hope it works the next time out. If I had a do-over, I would not of opted for the electric awning.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Sometimes mine will close/open using the switch in the basement when it will not close/open with the switch inside. Don't ask me what the difference is. It is screwy.

JohnDar

Sometimes mine will close/open using the switch in the basement when it will not close/open with the switch inside. Don't ask me what the difference is. It is screwy.

Basement switch:confused::confused: Must be a Landmark option.

I didn't opt for the electric awning, it was part of the show package. I didn't know they were available until I saw it on the model. You would think they'd engineered some manual override to operate the thing, IN and OUT. The gild keeps flaking off the brick....:(

Just had to combat the stove gremlins again. For the second time, the wire popped off the igniter. Don't know how, the plug connector is a tight fit. And this rig's been stationary since May.

JohnDar

Maybe the basement switch and remote control are options for the LM

Most likely are, I don't have a remote and there are NO switches in my basement. Anyways, after a day and a half of voice mail tag, I finally got to speak with the repair tech. He'll be out tomorrow morning about 9:30 to see what the problem is. Says Dometic is very good about covering warranty work, but not the service call. Hmmm. May have to work on that.

Jimmyt5

Most likely are, I don't have a remote and there are NO switches in my basement. Anyways, after a day and a half of voice mail tag, I finally got to speak with the repair tech. He'll be out tomorrow morning about 9:30 to see what the problem is. Says Dometic is very good about covering warranty work, but not the service call. Hmmm. May have to work on that.

Guy next to me last year had a/c problem and called Dometic and told them his unit was on blocks and not movable, he had just normal hook up, they said OK they would pick up the service call. There rule as I understand it is if you can take it in they will not cover it.
Might be worth a try...

JohnDar

Awning Update

Well, they came out and looked at it this morning. Motor is shot. Unfortunately, this model has the motor connected to the spring, so they could not just pull the motor. Naturally, none of my paperwork had the specific model number, but he says he can get that from Dometic. The tag is rolled up under the awning on the roller. Doesn't think it will be a problem getting parts and fixed early next week. He will also install the adjustable arm, no charge.

It was also recommended that I have the rubber roof resealed with Dicor sealant annually (which they also do). Sounds like a plan, to coordinate it with the lady that will wash and wax my rig on site.