Better iPhone tethering

rl7greg

If anyone else is trying to "work at home" while they're camping, like me :D, this is what I do... Thought I would share the info...

With the iPhone OS 3.0 the internet tethering feature was added and works with a USB or Bluetooth connection to your laptop. There are limitations though:
- the iPhone built in tethering doesn't work for some VPN connections or Exchange email
- some peoples data accounts don't allow the built in tethering
- if your laptop doesn't have bluetooth you have to have the phone plugged in.

There is a 3rd party software called PDAnet that is better than the built-in tethering, but it is not available in the app store because Apple and the carriers I'm sure don't approve.

You need to jailbreak the iPhone with http://redsn0w.com/ (all the info is there for the steps for version 3.0 or 3.01). Redsnow will install Cydia, and then install PDAnet (available in Cydia). More info is at http://www.junefabrics.com/iphone/index.php about PDAnet and how it works. It can work very simply with the USB cable, but it can also turn the iPhone into a wifi router.

Greg

rl7greg

In the wifi mode I just tested at speakeasy.net/speedtest and I get

Download Speed: 826 kbps (103.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 266 kbps (33.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

I am on Fido(Rogers) in Canada and have a 3G connection at the moment. In a non-3G area it works, but it is a lot slower.

Greg

rick_debbie_gallant

I have the 3g model with the 3.0 software upgrade. Will the tether work with my phone without have to break er out of jail:eek: or will I have to buy a new phone:eek::eek::eek::eek:?

rl7greg

You've got the right software. Without jailbreaking it, you can see if the built in USB or Bluetooth tethering works for what you need - tap "Settings", "General", "Network", "Internet Tethering" and switch it to on. Next time you plug it into a computer with Itunes 8.2 installed, it will automatically install the driver and your iphone will display a blue "Internet Tethering" banner at the top.

jcelander

what do you do for work at home job? i am losing my job next week and i would like to find a work from home job so i can live at my rv during the camping months.

rick_debbie_gallant

You've got the right software. Without jailbreaking it, you can see if the built in USB or Bluetooth tethering works for what you need - tap "Settings", "General", "Network", "Internet Tethering" and switch it to on. Next time you plug it into a computer with Itunes 8.2 installed, it will automatically install the driver and your iphone will display a blue "Internet Tethering" banner at the top.
I am not seeing the "internet tethering" on my phone. I have updated it but it is not there

rl7greg

I am not seeing the "internet tethering" on my phone. I have updated it but it is not there

Sorry, I didn't know, but it looks like the option is supposed to not be there in the US. See the small print on this page - http://www.apple.com/iphone/iphone-3gs/tethering.html - "Tethering is not currently offered in the U.S. and some other countries. See your carrier for availability".

So looks like you would have to jailbreak it and install PDAnet.

rl7greg

what do you do for work at home job? i am losing my job next week and i would like to find a work from home job so i can live at my rv during the camping months.

I don't only work at home, but I do a couple days a week. I just try to create a few extra 4 day weekends by keeping an eye on my email and having my computer ready if needed during the day, and getting work done when the kids are napping or asleep.

I have a friend that does internet tech support though, and after 4 months of training and working in the call centre, they let the staff work from home with a voip phone and laptop. Flexible hours too with that type of work, once you have a bit of seniority - he likes it.