gray water capacity

Ldavisjr

I Have a 09 Big horn 3410RE with 2 - 45 gallon gray water tanks . I am going to atlanta motor speedway for the race next weekend . I was wanting to know if the two tanks are conected so we can take advantage of the capacity for showers. if not can they be? thanks :D

fljlcw

no there not connected but you can get a valve that attaches to the hose connection from camping world close it and open the 2 grey valves

rick_debbie_gallant

If a person did not want to purchase an extra valve would it still work if you just opened up the both grey water valves and leave the main dump valve closed. I have a bh3670 and have two gray water dumps, 1 black water d;ump and then the main sewer dump. BTW I also have an extra dump valve downstream from the main dump, just double accidental dump insurance:cool:.

rick_debbie_gallant

oops, my bad. there is not a "main dump" just the ones you cannot see. i already have put on the extra dump at the end... confused? when i figure it out how to post pics i will...

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
oops, my bad. there is not a "main dump" just the ones you cannot see. i already have put on the extra dump at the end... confused? when i figure it out how to post pics i will...

You've got three valves, all independent. Two for gray and one for black. If you plan on crossfeeding the gray tanks, you better have that screw on valve in place or you'll get a nasty surprise when you remove the sewer cap. :eek: The way the gray tanks drain, I don't think you can crossfeed the gray tanks via the sewer line with any great success. Anybody actually done it?

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We were just up at Bristol races last weekend, camping at a cg with no sewer hookups. We carry a spare sewer cap that has a hose line tap, therefore we can keep the 2 gray holding tanks 1/2 open to slow drain. We carry a 10' section of hose to run the gray water away from the trailer. It was a camping world purchase but some walmart also carry them. Might want to research the state rules of GA about being able to gray water dump. Tn does allow it. We are heading to a state park in SC in 2 weeks and SC also allows gray water dumping.

Yianni

We were just up at Bristol races last weekend, camping at a cg with no sewer hookups. We carry a spare sewer cap that has a hose line tap, therefore we can keep the 2 gray holding tanks 1/2 open to slow drain. We carry a 10' section of hose to run the gray water away from the trailer. It was a camping world purchase but some walmart also carry them. Might want to research the state rules of GA about being able to gray water dump. Tn does allow it. We are heading to a state park in SC in 2 weeks and SC also allows gray water dumping.

Where do you look to find out which states allow gray water dumping?

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Yianni - each state has regulation under the state health department. I found it in a state park brochure for both states while traveling through the states. We always stop at the welcome centers for each new state that we stay in and try to find the state park informations. Most of the time it is listed in the brochures in very fine print. Good luck.

phranc

What Nabo said was.. he drained at a very very slow trickle and away from himself and his neighbors...Just be careful of impacting your neighbor

caissiel

I was able to overflow the gray water in my Black water in my old trailer that had only 1 gray and 1 black tank. The 2 valves were close and the gray water level was much higher then the black so the flow was from gray to black. I did this quit often while dry camping. You can only do this when the gray is full so flow is backward to the black. I used the cap, and when I removed the cap I had a bucket under the cap to receive the gray water trapped between the valves and the cap. I plan to do the same with the BC but the installation of an additional 3" manual dump in surely in my plans. We also use a Washing machine that can take 7 Gals per wash and it could allow use lots of comfort while on a 2 way conn. Maybe I could dump the gray in the black if they are at the same level, anyone know where these tanks are all located.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I'll have to keep an eye out for sites that allow gray dumping. And stay away from them. Do you think everyone is honest about which valve they open up on the day they leave?? The galley tank alone probably has enough food particles in it to make it a house fly resort.

phranc

I suppose you could plumb a pipe between the two gray tanks , so they would act as one 90 gal tank.. i think the easiest solution is to do what Katkins suggested and also be careful of water use ie: capture that first gal or 2 that comes from shower head while waiting for hot into a pan and dump that down toilet.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
You could also carry a BLUE TANK to dump the gray water in. Then take the blue tank to a dumping station and empty it. Been there done that.