Replacing Chairs

K

Ken Washington

Hi everyone, Just a note to let you know that we replaced our recliners with leather La-Z-boy. As you know, they come in all different sizes, colors and fabrics. La-Z-boy also has a swivel base that can be added. Our two recliners with swivel bases were $1200.00. Alot cheaper than Flexsteel or Euro chairs!
Ken

Last edited:

jbeletti

Hi Ken,

We are 99.9% set on ordering on Monday from La-Z-Boy. We took samples into their store and looked through the books. Nancy chose a B grade fabric (fairly modest). We're looking at a pair of Reclina-Way chairs. They're $570 each, plus tax, including Father's Day sale discount for buying 2. Around 8 weeks to delivery.

Since we are getting the Reclina-Way style base, be are not able to have a rocking or swivel mechanism. Once of the biggest issues I saw was that the standard chairs in our '05 model had to be pulled so far out into the room in order to be fully reclined. And those things are HEAVY. The La-Z-Boy units are so light. Hope they're made well.

Another goal was to get narrower chairs. We use ours in the dinette slide and the chair closest to the dinette always bangs up against the dinette chairs. I suppose because these can swivel, that we do swivel and that is why we interfere with the table. Anyway, narrower was a goal. Didn't save much. About 2" in total. But since these are light, we figure we can rotate them into the general orientation we want, then use them and not be swinging into each other or the table or the end of the slide. With the Reclina-Way models, we can keep the chairs within 4" from the wall and still fully recline (read nap!). We need well over a foot with the current Flexsteel units.

Jim

Last edited:
K

Ken Washington

Jim, We are thinking about replacing the couch with something more comfortable. It is way too shallow-not enough sitting area for my butt! We thought about doing what you are doing, just have not made up our minds yet. It's hard to find a couch no more that 40 inches deep. We will keep looking and maybe get lucky.
Ken

jbeletti

Ken,

Yours sounds like a tough one. You may have to have one built for you. Since you are looking for more seat depth, yet are constrained at 40" max depth due to the rear cap depth in order to clear the slide rooms.

If one could be made that takes 2" out of the depth of the seat back and puts it into the seat itself - perhaps that would work. Not sure how comfortable you are with the current sofa in terms of durability and construction, but I think it is built with a Flexsteel frame by Flair Industries down there in trailer town. I have a link to Flair's website on the 2006 Rally Sponsors page. May be worth asking them if they do custom builds. We had a sofa custom made once - wow - really expensive. We have since had it reupholstered for the new house. The custom furniture holds up well to time - that's for sure.

Let us know what you end up doing. Just ordered our chairs today after church, so I'll post pictures of them in 8 to 10 weeks (yikes).

Jim

K

Ken Washington

New chairs and couch

Hi Jim,
Here is a update with pictures on what we did to replace the cheep chairs and couch. When I looked at the underside of our couch, I was supprised at how cheep it was! The chairs were made of real cheep frabic that if the dog touched it, strings would appear. We really like the La-Z Boys and when we got to looking, a couch 40 inches or less was not hard to find. I know that I used the word "cheep'' alot but it wasn't when we bought it!
Ken

Attachments

• IMG_0715.JPG
    IMG_0715.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_0716.JPG
    IMG_0716.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_0717.JPG
    IMG_0717.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 121
K

Ken Washington

Jim,
It was in stock and I put it in my truck and brought it home with me. One place, StoreHouse had a lot of pieces that we really liked!
Ken

jbeletti

Ken,

No such luck on this end. The only "stocked" fabric in the chair we wanted was blue. No blue in our trailer so we had to order..

Jim

ct0218

Jim, I forgot to ask you when you were here, but how much lighter were the LaZBoys compared to the Flexsteel, and how much narrower? The OEM chairs are really heavy, I'd like to save some weight and get a more useable chair, in a fabric. Thanks, CT

jbeletti

Clark,

I think the La-Z-Boy recliners are 1.5" narrower each. So that will give us 3 more precious inches between the slide side wall and the dinette chairs. As for weight, I don't know what they weight, but they are really light compared to the Flexsteel units.

Ours will recline only so I am sure we'll miss the swivel mechanism at first. But to not have to pull them so far out into the room will be so nice. And to have more side to side room will be felt as well.

Jim

ct0218

Three inches certainly helps. These chairs are so heavy so the in and out to recline is a hassle, and the swivel is nice but since it is third on my list I guess I can just give up on that. I think we will go the La-Z-Boy route also and put these in the rec room in the basement.

jbeletti

Clark,

We shampooed the carpet in the trailer this morning. You should have seen me wrestle these 2 flexsteel chairs onto the sofa. I used several tie-down straps to strap them together on the sofa, the strap them back so they wouldn't fall off. That was easier than trying to get them out of the trailer, then back in.

I think the carpet cleaning went well. It all looks really good. And there was a lot of muck in that black, sandy murky water that got extracted out of the carpet.

Taking a small rest, then back outside to refill an LP tank, finish cleaning the bugs off the front cap, removing the broken exterior fresh water tank support and and few otehr small projects.

Hope I don't melt - it's at least 94 out here. Wish I was up at 3,500' sipping a cool one on your deck!

Jim

Jim

ct0218

Not bad here today-80.7 was the high. Similar jobs for both of us. I spent the whole day detailing my truck. Looks like getting those two chairs out will be at least a two man job.

K

Ken Washington

I can tell you that they are heavy! I replaced both of mine (see pictures) a little further back in this thread. Just wanted to let you who are going to remove the chairs that the backs do come off which will make them lighter.
Ken

ct0218

That is good to know!I was thinking that it would be an awkward maneuver and a tight fit thru the door.

jpmorgan37

We took one of our's out last week and it was not a problem getting it through the door, and as we were putting it down outside, the back came off.:eek: Wish I had known it before.

ct0218

As much as I have pulled and tugged and pushed mine you would think that I would have disacovered that by now!

Paul & Nan

Well, sure wish we knew that the backs came off this afternoon at 97 degrees and we were taking the old chairs out of BH. We bought two new Lazyboys this weekend, light weight they are, by compairison and the backs were off when we picked them up. Look so much nicer, and will sit so much better. Nan

K

Ken Washington

I am glad that I posted about the backs coming off. May save someones back! The La-Z-Boys that we got are much lighter and better than what Heartland put in our unit. Remember, you can get a base that will let the chair turn 360 degrees and still rock and recline.
Ken