Looking for tips on changing the light bulb in the NDR1062 refer

jbeletti

Friends here at the MI rally have an older HL unit with the Dometic NDR1062 refer. The light was not coming on and they found the bulb laying in the clear cover/diffuser for the light fixture.

The bulb is a small wedge base style that has the 2 tiny wire loops coming out the bottom. Typically, these wire loops are folded back over the glass wedge base so the bulb can be pressed into a wedge base light fixture.

In this case, looking at the base of the light fixture, I see tiny holes where it looks like wire leads are to plug into. No notch or slot for the wedge base bulb. really bizarre.

So the bulb will NOT plug in. Trying to connect the wire loop leads of the bulb into the tiny contact holes in the light fixture did not light the bulb either. There is power at the base.

This is the refer light that is mounted to the top of the refer case, not the side. The side mounted lights looks to take the festoon style bulb.

I called Dometic. No help. Heartland Customer Service is looking into it but I figured in the mean time, I'd toss this out to the board. So come on you experts. Anyone have any experience successfully replacing the bulb in an NDR1062 refer?

Thanks,

Jim

jbeletti

Thanks Kenny. Before I got this parts list from you, I was thinking there had to be a base the bulb pugs into, then that base plugs into the light fixture, in those 4 prong holes. But we tore the refer apart again, looking for a loose part and found nothing.

Looking at page 6 of the parts list, item 24 in the parts explosion at the top of the page shows a Lampholder. At first, I was thinking, viola! But after blowing that image up a bit, it looks just like the base that is in the fixture now. So it seems that there is NOT some intermediate base/socket that the light bulb plugs into.

Just seems weird that the leads of a wedge base bulb would have to be unfolded and inserted into 2 of the 4 holes of that lampholder. And, it doesn't work :( Maybe the switch is bad. Dunno.

If anyone has this exact light fixture and bulb in their refer, don't pull the bulb out, but please remove the light cover and look at the bulb and tell us how it plugs into the base.

Thanks,

Jim

Attachments

• lampholder.jpg
    lampholder.jpg
    591.7 KB · Views: 45
  • lampholder_b.jpg
    lampholder_b.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 32

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
How about removing that lighting fixture and replacing it with an updated version. It should be a 12 volt fixture.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
That bulb looks like one we had trouble finding and finally found it a Home Depot. They had a whole drawer full of them and I believe it was halogen.

branson4020

Icantre Member
That bulb looks like one we had trouble finding and finally found it a Home Depot. They had a whole drawer full of them and I believe it was halogen.

Yep,

G4-base Bi pin 12V 10 Watt halogen. That's whats on the parts list for that model refer. I know where that secret drawer is at my Home Depot too!

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
Jim, I have a crank flashlight you can have for 2 beers! The longer you crank the brighter and longer it stays on. Oh, 1 beer and it is yours, but don't tell Cookie.

jbeletti

UPDATE:

Tom and Bob went out and found the correct bulb. However - still a no-go.

We started probing around behind the refer behind the vent and found a bad 1 amp glass fuse. Replace it - still a no go.

I am beginning to think the switch is bad. Looks like a bit of a project to remove the entire light assembly. Appears to be screwed into the top of the refer cabinet in 4 spots with nylon screws.

wdk450

UPDATE:

Tom and Bob went out and found the correct bulb. However - still a no-go.

We started probing around behind the refer behind the vent and found a bad 1 amp glass fuse. Replace it - still a no go.

I am beginning to think the switch is bad. Looks like a bit of a project to remove the entire light assembly. Appears to be screwed into the top of the refer cabinet in 4 spots with nylon screws.

Jim:
Before you go to all of the work of replacing the switch you may want to spray it with DeOxideIT contact spray (availible at Radio Shack). This is the finest contact restorer spray I have seen in 28 years as a medical electronics tech. Our refrig light switch suffered a bath of pickle juice, and the spray fixed it perfectly.