A/C Problem With New Big Horn....

JWG

Hi, I have been checking this site out for the last three weeks. A lot of very knowledgeable people on here: Maybe someone can help me figure out what's up with my A/C...

We just picked up our new Big Horn and are now on the maiden voyage... At PDI the A/C was working fine, but here at the campground it wont start. Everything else in the trailer is working: however, when I try to start the A/C I hear a click coming from the A/C unit but nothing happens. The blower inside seems to be turning, and putting out some air, but it seems to be weak and not as forceful as when it was running at PDI...

I have checked the breaker and it was fine... Any ideas? Its kinda warm here, and the DW gets cranky without the A/C....

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Make sure your 12 volt fuse for the AC is okay also. The thermostat runs on 12 volts DC.

thomasinnv

sounds like low voltage. check the ac voltage without it running, then watch it when you turn it on to see what it does. if it dips momentarily that is ok, but if it stays below about 110 don't run the ac. it will damage it.

JWG

Thanks for the quick replies... I checked the 12 volt fuse and it appears to be OK... I will do a voltage check in the morning. Am I checking the voltage coming in from the pedestal?

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
JWG, yes and also check the voltage at the power cord to the trailer. BTW, are you putting the power cord in and twisting to the right to seat it to the prongs?? It took me awhile to figure that one out also. Bob:D

JWG

Thanks Bob, I checked and it seemed to be turned and seated... I have no way of checking the power and voltage coming from the pedestal... Leaving tomorow, guess I will see if the A/C works at home before taking it in for service... Everything else worked great for a first trip out... Got a fan for the DW, all is well...

jkfoam

JWG, I had a similiar experience wih the Dometic AC unit in my Sundance. What was found is that the fan had come off the compressor. When the cover was taken off the compressor unit on the roof, the fan was found on the floor of the unit. The set screw was also found in close proximity so the fan blade was reattached the set screw installed and tightened and everything worked fine. The repair guy said that if the fans not blowing the compressor will shut down.

JKFoam