Hydraulic slide controls

caissiel

What are the hose connections on the hydraulic system. What is the Hydraulic schematics for installation isolation valves to move sides individualy at selected sequence, or is it better to install flow regulator to open slides selectively. I plan to install 12DC solenoid valves to isolate at least the bedroom and the desk slide on the 3500RL for traveling conveniences.

SmokeyBare

We have three valves on our BigHorn... by turning each one to the OFF position... prevents the selected slide room from operating.

Hope this helps....

Attachments

• Slide Room Valves 001.JPG
    Slide Room Valves 001.JPG
    412.7 KB · Views: 143
  • Slide Room Valves 002.JPG
    Slide Room Valves 002.JPG
    307 KB · Views: 141
B

bwwalczak

Thank you for your post.

Standard equiptment on Big Country includes the hydraulic slide system. On Big Country it is a "series" type system. This means that on your 3500RL, the lines run from the pump to the bed slide, kitchen slide, entertainment center slide, and then the main slide with dinette and sofa, then back. When the pump turns on to push the slides out, it adds preasure to all the rams at once, but the slides go out in order of easiest to push out first. This is why your main slide ususally goes out last, bed slide first. When pulling them back in, it is a similar order.

Again, there are other variables such as if your coach is level. If you wanted to apply slide room valve controls, the coach would require more hoses from each ram to the valve, then to the pump. This equiptment is optional on more expensive models like Bighorn, and standard on Landmark. Big Country is plumbed with the simple, effective series system.

I hope this answers your question.

caissiel

Here I am on the 3rd camping trip, and I had to jump over the kitchen cupboard because I forgot to tie the TV down. Had to close 2 more slides to do a return on the desk slide because something was in the way. Now I am going to camp in a Field and the Desk slide does not need to be opened to save space. I just cannot live any longer with this open 4 slides system and I need the valve controls installed soon. In 3 weeks I have had so much trouble with this that I am ready to do a change as soon as I get home. I was talking to the dealer and they said the warranty on the slide system would be void if I do the chages. I want to have clarification on this. I have the Valves selected and ready to install 4 valves and 2 additional hoses. This is required to releif the need to operate 3 slides to control one.

jbeletti

Please call Lippert directly to verify this as they will be the determiners of this.

That said, they may be able to give you some tips on your planned installation b

Jim

caissiel

I have done the installation of 2 additional Hydraulic Hoses, and 4 additional valves. they are all rated at 3500PSI.

caissiel

I have been traveling from NB to Florida and have enjoyed the new trailer. Every night I had to open the main slide by 8" because parking spaces did not allow more. At rest areas we were able to open the kitchen slide by 6" and have access for cooking. The new valves have made our trip much more enjoyable. Would have never survived with the open series system. This unit is great to travel with and we can get away in small parling spaces while the main and Kitchen slide is opened around 6" only.
I was looking at the 2010 model and was glad to see that the w/d room door opening has been swung the same direction as I did to mine.

porthole

Retired
I was talking to the dealer and they said the warranty on the slide system would be void if I do the changes.

Your dealer needs to check out the consumer warranty laws.

I only have two slides, but the trailer has the isolation valves. They are very convenient and if you are ready, willing and able to do it yourself - I'd say go for it.

In the end you will be glad you did.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
I was talking to the dealer and they said the warranty on the slide system would be void if I do the chages.

Your dealer is full of poo. They essentially have just told you they do not want to have anything to do with it and if you have a problem do not come to them.

RubiconAg

Caisseil,
Can you post pictures of your modifications if you have any. Also, about how much did the modifications cost? Where did you get the supplies from? TIA

caissiel

I am on my way to Florida back to the home we left on the 1st of Dec.
I surely will take a Pic of it.

I used the diagram that is posted on lippert site, installed the valves on the return line of the cylinders and with 1/4" JIC fittings was able to add to the existing fitting on top of the pump. I used Hy-Spec 1/4" ball valves rated at 3500PSI
and 2 off 1/4" hoses (20ft and 24ft) also rated at 3500PSI.

Total cost for parts was $283.00.

Lippert sells the valve block on their site, you just add hoses and the required additional fittings.
I didn't have the time to wait for delivery so I went to local hydraulic supplies for the parts.

Most of the hose modification is close to the outside beams, so it is a clean job to add and reconnect the hoses.

I used the existing hose connected to the kitchen slide, disconnected the line from it and plugged it.
Used a new hose to the desk slide.
And connected the removed end of the hose from the desk slide to a new 20ft hose from the pump. This hose now is connected to the return of the main slide. Also it permited the splice to be further forward of the axles.
The bedroom slide had its own hose from the pump.
The valve are setup in the same order that the slides open.
There was a JIC tee at each cylinder that I plugged one side.
1. bedroom,
2. kitchen,
3. desk,
4. main
and on the valve bank the valves are front to back.

You have to have the slides 1/2 way in, in order to realy bleed the hoses with hydraulic fluid. By 1st opening the slides fully, filled all the hoses and returned all the air in the hydraulic tank.

Be carefull when working with power steering oil in the system, its bad stuff on your skin.
But as long as there is a bit of leakage during assembly no dirt will go in. Flow out is my moto for cleanliness.

Last edited:

Delaine and Lindy

Slide Controls............

Great modification and sounds like a very professional job. Having the ability to control each slide is great. It looks like the 2011 Grand Canyon has the seperate slide controls. And Jim B. will love the Air ride suspension. And just having the standard pin box is a plus also and does save you some money. GBY......

lwmcguir

We purchase the Landmark Augusta over the Big Horn as that was one of the criteria that was a must have.