Rear bumper weight limit

jdoddharm

Can anyone tell me how much weight and Eagle Ridge will hold? I bought a portable generator and would like to put a reciever hitch on my back bumper and carry it back there when we need it.

blacknugget

I was looking at the same idea. The bumper is solidly welded to the frame. I think it would easily support a hitch and up to 150-200lbs of generator.

I am going to mount a hitch to hold a bike rack and 4 bikes. I think though, I am going to have a hitch mounted to the frame, instead of the bumper. Roads can be bumper, especially with a 39' trailer. That could put some extra torque on the load hanging over the bumper.

-blacknugget

B

bwwalczak

Thank you for your post.

Lippert will not give us ratings for the rear bumper. The only parameters they tell is is that: "if you tow from rear bumper, this could void the frame warranty". This is the same for all frame manufacturers, as Lippert supplies most of the industry with frames.

In this case, common sense will prevail. Please bear in mind that any weight added to the bumper will reduce hitch weight. You want hitch weight!

Hope this helps.

Bogger

Well, originally I thought it would be fine to hold a 4 bike rack. We have used it that way for the past couple of months without any issues. However, last week we were pulling in to our campground in Medora, ND (on our way to Glacier Park, MT) and the bumper gave way. The welds broke almost halfway from the bumper to the top of the frame. The bumper did not fall off, but we could not keep the bikes on it any longer. We ended up hauling them in the back of the truck and a couple in the back room of the fiver.

The 4 bikes were NOT that heavy- they were all "Specialized" lightweight bikes. I can't imagine they weighed more than 150 pounds total. We saw several other SOB fivers with the exact same set up in Glacier. Talked to a couple of them and none have had any problems. I am a little disappointed to say the least. Just tried contacting my dealer to see what can be done.

I would guess a generator is going to put the same kind or even more strain on it. Not recommended without some extra support being installed. :(

caissiel

I had a 95 5th wheel and had a bumper hitch on it for all the years I owned it and carried bikes on it. There is no way the welds let go unless the manufacturing welds were substandard. I towed my 2100 Lbs cars behind it from florida to Canada. The hitch was welded directly to the 4 x 4 bumper and a 2x2 x 1/8" square tubing 4 feet away. I have just installed a new hitch on my BC today and bolted it to the bumper and the rear stabalizer beam. The twisting at the welds is the problem, straight up and down forces, along with push and pulling is much safer, attaching a bike rack only to the bumper will create forces that are 10 fold to the welds.

sundancekid

That is a correct statement about the welds. If a weld is welded correctly the metal will tear way before the weld will break. Weld should be the strongest point.