Generator Questions

Paul_in_MN

Hi All,

We recently bought our 2010 Eagle Ridge, and anticipate some boondocking in state parks and national forests. These events will likely be 2 or 3 day stays before we move on. As some of these beautiful primitive campgrounds do not have electrical power, I anticipate the need for a generator.

I have looked at many options, from the Honda EU series, the Yamaha, the Boliy, and a few others. But with longevity, resale, service facilities, and relaibility in mind, I chose to go to the higher dollar Honda EU series. I planned to get the EU 3000is, but got talked into going with 2 of the EU 2000is units paired together. The total price was nearly the same as going with the 3000 watt unit. The advantage to me with going with the 2 separate machines was the 48 lb weight of each. I can still lift that into the bed of my F 350. With the 3000is unit at 134 lbs, I could load it at home with my Bobcat, but I can not unload it at a campground.

So here is the question...... What are the disadvantages of going with the paired-up 2000 watt units? I know they can not be used to produce 240 volts, but the 3000 watt unit can not either. Will the expected life of the 2000is be considerably shorter than the 3000is unit. The bigger unit does look much more robust, but I can not judge what is inside its box.

I have not opened the boxes yet, and can return them for full credit, if I have made a mistake. What are your experiences in this matter??

Thanks for your replies!!
And enjoy the beautiful Fall weather!!:)

Paul in MN

Paul, Teri, daughter Annie, 8 grandkids
2010 Eagle Ridge 34RLSA
2002 F350 4X4 Powerstroke, SRW

porthole

Retired
My 2 cents. I have used both.

On my previous trailer I was able to run the AC with a single 2000 but it is running near capacity and uses fuel. Because it is near capacity it "seems" twice as loud.

When it came time to buy though I went with the 3000i.

The 3000 under no load is quieter then the 2000 under no load.
The 3000 under load is much quieter than the 2000 under a load.
The 3000 has a much bigger "single" fuel tank.

But the 3000 is a pain to load at 134 pounds. I can put it in the truck by myself but I won't do that too often. I also bought the original set of wheels. That set is 2 axles with four wheels. It rolls so easy that you have to chock it. There is a newer version with 1 axle and handles which seems like a better idea.

If I only needed 2K of power to run some lights and computers etc that is what I would buy. But buying two and an expensive bridging adapter to get 4K I would think twice about.

Ideally I would have one of each.

I have the 2 Honda 2000EU setup with the cables hooking the 2 together. It is easy to lift them into the truck and carry them around the camp ground. With the 2, I can run my ac and still have my kids hook up thier trailers to mine for power. In the winter time while we are Elk hunting I run my 2 generators and 5 5th wheels hook together to keep the hearters running. I thought about the 3000eu, but I just can't lift like I used to.
Good luck on what ever you decide.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I don't have a generator, but reading your problems, why not get one of those ramps for getting a motorcycle or small ATV into a truck bed. Wheels on the generator and pull it up instead of risking serious injury lifting it.

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
I bought the oddball in the market (Not well-known is all) but after research the one I thought would do anything I needed plus be "bullet-proof" longevity-wise. It does have four solid wheels also.

The Robins-Subaru 4300is

It has (after two plus years now) been everything I needed and is as quiet as they come even at full load. On quiet-mode for sure you can have a conversation standing right on top of it in use.

http://www.everygenerator.com/Robin-Subaru-RG4300iS-SUB1001.html

You can get it for much less than the cost stated here on the link.