maps/ route info on roof clearances

marina

My husband and I want to travel north from our home on the north NJ shore. We are aware that the northern portion on the NJ State Parkway has stone bridges which do not provide adequate clearance for our Bighorn except in the center lane. We would like to know what other owners have in the way of maps/routing info which helps them avoid any hazards while traveling the highways.None

Marina

porthole

Retired
What is the "North Jersey Shore"

See attached bridge list

Attachments

• Bridge heights.pdf
    113.3 KB · Views: 90

marina

North Jersey shore

The north Jersey shore is the Long Branch area, N of Asbury Park, S of Sandy Hook National Park.None

aatauses

WE also plan to travel this area later this fall. Is the NJ parkway and the NJ turnpike the same road? We will be coming out of ME and headed toward FL.
aatauses
also, if you check thier website you may be able to get informaiton or the NJ state police web site

porthole

Retired
WE also plan to travel this area later this fall. Is the NJ parkway and the NJ turnpike the same road? We will be coming out of ME and headed toward FL.

No they are not. One is a pleasant ride and one can be stressful.

They both start near each other near the northeast corner of the state. The Parkway goes south along the coast for the most part and the Turnpike heads more directly towards the Philly area.

Personally, If I was coming form Maine I would head westward and then down along RT 81, well past Baltimore.

It will be cheaper (far less tolls) and a nicer ride.

also, if you check their website you may be able to get information or the NJ state police web site

I wouldn't bother with that. The sites are not updated all that frequently.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
It is very true that the outter ends of the bridges on the Garden State Parkway in Northern Jersey can be a hazzard. When we go north we pick a middle lane and stay in it. The bridges come up way too fast to travel it any other way. Would rather ride in the middle lanes than get caught out there scrambling for a spot. Travel safe.

PSF513

maps/route info

While I can not speak to I-81 outside of Virginia, I can tell you that in VA it can be extremely stressful with all the large trucks, etc.

Drive Safely

Rigmover06

Low Clearances

As a designated Heavy Hauler who is constantly worried about buying a bridge. I have found a book available at Petro, Flying J, T/A Truckstop.

It's called Clearance and Bridges. It lists every Bridge,Overpass,underpass,viaduct in Canada and the US.

It cost me a whopping 10.00.

Next to my Truckstop directory, it gets used the most.

Dan:D

porthole

Retired
While I can not speak to I-81 outside of Virginia, I can tell you that in VA it can be extremely stressful with all the large trucks, etc.

I've taken the I-81 or I 95 corridor north & south by motorcycle, car, pickup and pickup/trailer.

Just my 2 cents but of the 2, 81 is a better ride. I will avoid 95 on the motorcycle any chance I get. The road tends to be congested, dirty and heavily traveled by trucks - all for making 2 wheel trips unpleasant.

Yes there are trucks on 81 but I'll still take it given the choice.

porthole

Retired
As a designated Heavy Hauler who is constantly worried about buying a bridge. I have found a book available at Petro, Flying J, T/A Truckstop.

It's called Clearance and Bridges. It lists every Bridge,Overpass,underpass,viaduct in Canada and the US.

It cost me a whopping 10.00.

Next to my Truckstop directory, it gets used the most.

Dan:D

I'll have to look for this next time I pass one. I know the bridge PDF I posted is not complete, just in New Jersey there are 4 bridges in my town that are under height (13'6"). And 1 of them is under 10' and the other 9' :eek:

The document only seem to list highway bridges and not local, which can be more of a challenge.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Hey porthole, we're going to the VA rally in a couple of weeks and are planning to stop at flying J to pick up this book. Want us to get ya one?

sidney dreyfus

My husband and I want to travel north from our home on the north NJ shore. We are aware that the northern portion on the NJ State Parkway has stone bridges which do not provide adequate clearance for our Bighorn except in the center lane. We would like to know what other owners have in the way of maps/routing info which helps them avoid any hazards while traveling the highways.None

Marina
try http://www.aitaonline.com/low%20clearances.html

porthole

Retired

Curious, could you look up these bridges in Edison-Metuchen, NJ?

Edison:
Suttons Lane railroad
Parsonage Road railroad
Evergreen Rd Railroad

Metuchen:
Main St railroad

Hi Im a newbee here . Im hoping that all truck stops have that book . I dont want to buy a bridge eather . Also I would like to thank you for the informatin on the book,and Marina for bringing this subject up.

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
A truckers' road atlas also has a list of low clearance bridges and tunnels listed by state. It is just another good source of valuable information. Check them out at any truck stop.

SueJean

Re: Low Clearances

Hi Y'all!

Just wanted to give a quick head's-up on a situation we ran into yesterday in Flagstaff, AZ.

We stopped at the "Little America" gas station at exit 198 on I-40 heading east.

The station was really busy and we initially pulled into the truck lanes to get gas. We try to avoid doing this whenever we can. The black handled diesel pump wouldn't fit into the gas tank and we didn't see any green ones so DH started to pull over to the car pumps. The roof/overhead has some obvious damage and from my perspective at 5'8", it looked like we might be adding to it so I said ":confused:". "I don't think so............."

I wasn't sure there was going to be enough room for our air conditioners and didn't want to test it out so DH ended up having to back up across all of the truck lanes in a busy gas station while I frantically searched for a green handled pump in that area. We did find some at the farthest out pump stations and managed to get some gas, but it was NOT a pleasant experience.

Give me a "Flying J" or a "Love's" anytime!