virginia beach

cableman

The wife and I will be leaving next week (9/5/09) for a trip to virginia beach from western pa. Just looking for any info that may be of help to us on our voyage. Will be driving to Bowling Green on saturday and staying till monday, then continue to virginia beach and stay the rest of the week there. In Bowling green the camp groun is Hidden Acres, in Va. beach it is the KOA on general booth blvd. Any input will be appreiciated we just bought a north trail 24rl, used it twice and looking forward to spending the week in the heartland.

TanDumb

Kim and Chris
The wife and I will be leaving next week (9/5/09) for a trip to virginia beach from western pa. Just looking for any info that may be of help to us on our voyage. Will be driving to Bowling Green on saturday and staying till monday, then continue to virginia beach and stay the rest of the week there. In Bowling green the camp groun is Hidden Acres, in Va. beach it is the KOA on general booth blvd. Any input will be appreiciated we just bought a north trail 24rl, used it twice and looking forward to spending the week in the heartland.
The KOA is crappy. My parents stayed there and they said it was horrible. It needs a lot of repairs and there are all kinds of potholes. Oh and I hope you dont mind camping next to a grave yard:eek:. The Holiday Travel Park is so much better. When coming here what route are you taking? When you get on 64E, take the Monitor Merrimac Bridge Tunnel. DO NOT take the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel. If you take the HRBT you are sure to sit in traffic no matter what time of day you travel through it. HTH

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
When going thru the tunnels, you will have to stop and verify that your propane is turned off. Also, if you do end up going thru the Hampton Roads tunnel (I-64 into Norfolk) watch out for:

1. Potholes in the right lane. There are/were some VERY bad ones (big enough to break a spring)

2. When pulling out of the propane inspection point, you have to merge onto the entrance ramp that is on your right. Kinda of a blind spot. Be very careful merging there and be prepared to accelerate hard to get back onto the Interstate and into the tunnel (if the traffic is moving).

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
We stayed at Hidden Acres in Bowling Green many times in the pull thru sites by the office. It is ok for an overnight, sites are log so no disconnect is necessary on a one night stop over. The pull thru sites are as far as I've been so I don't know anything about the rest of the campground.

cableman

change of plans

After reading the info from the forum we decided to change our plans. We will be staying at the holiday travl park. Will also be using the monitor Merrimac Bridge and tunnel instead. Thank you guys very much for the info, and I will be reporting back when we get home.

TanDumb

Kim and Chris
After reading the info from the forum we decided to change our plans. We will be staying at the holiday travl park. Will also be using the monitor Merrimac Bridge and tunnel instead. Thank you guys very much for the info, and I will be reporting back when we get home.
WooHoo. Have a fun and safe trip. Will you be at the travel park for labor day weekend? We will be there visiting my parents.

DntDctr

Let me know how you stay goes. We'll be down there for 6 nights starting Sept 16...Would love to hear a report...
Safe travels..
Paul

PSF513

Virginia Beach

Having lived in the VB area for 25+ years and camped at both KOA & Holiday, there is no comparison. KOA also has seen ,more than its share of theft (my daughter-in-law is a detective in VB and says they believe it to come from full time campers at KOA). Except for the F-18s that scream in and out (the sound of FREEDOM), I find Holiday to be a great place to stay.

My wife and I will be there on Sept 18 & 19 with our grand daughters

cableman

We will be getting to the travel park on monday the 7th. Will have our member plaque on the front of the 5ver. I will post when we return, and maybe while were there. Thanks for the info,looking forward to the R&R.

sherry3

Just got back from Holiday Travel, we stay there all the time because that is where our family lives. Just be prepared for the jets! Also, if you are looking for quiet, stay far away from the office, at the main pool, on the weekends, they have a DJ and very loud music!

cableman

Update

Well we arrived a bowling green on sat. the 5th. We had a nice trip, the dog was a little tired of driving but she got over it. Staying at Hidden acres campground. The people running the camp ground are really nice and our stay hasn't been that bad, but if you are going to stay here tell them you want a lot out front because driving into the back is a little tight. If you choose to stay in the back, no wifi. Went golfing today and will not talk about that anymore. Will be leaving tomorrow and heading to Virginia beach, yeha. None

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Well we arrived a bowling green on sat. the 5th. We had a nice trip, the dog was a little tired of driving but she got over it. Staying at Hidden acres campground. The people running the camp ground are really nice and our stay hasn't been that bad, but if you are going to stay here tell them you want a lot out front because driving into the back is a little tight. If you choose to stay in the back, no wifi. Went golfing today and will not talk about that anymore. Will be leaving tomorrow and heading to Virginia beach, yeha. None

I had to chuckle a little:D.