Why all of a sudden???

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
is the 15 amp breaker for the washer/dryer circuit tripping when I have both units running??

For more than two years, as long as I'm on 50 amps, I've been able to run my washer and my dryer at the same time...today, with the washer running, as soon as I start the dryer the breaker trips. Any ideas???:(

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Check the dryer vent (at the outside) to see if it is clogged with lint. This could cause the dryer to overheat and make too much load (maybe). Also how about the wires on the breaker loosening up. Also how about the breaker becoming weak. Just some ideas.

jbeletti

Kathy,

Carefully, while disconnected from shore power, pull the AC Breaker Panel cover and retorque the screws on the ground and neutral bus bars and do the same for the hot wire on the breaker for the W/D. Worth a shot.

Jim

porthole

Retired
The breaker could be bad. If you don't have a current reading meter then just swapping or changing it out may be the easiest.

You could also have a problem with your dryer.

kakampers

Thanks Jim...we'll check those things out tomorrow.

By the way, hope you're doing OK...we're all keeping you in our prayers...hang in there! Kathy and Ken

Pulltab

I agree with Beletti, retorque the screws, also is anything else on that breaker by chance? Turn on anything that would have been running at the same time as dryer and flip the breaker off, see if anything stops. It probably wouldn't take much of a draw to trip it with the dryer running.

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
Breakers do go bad. If the tightening doesn't work, I would replace the breaker. You didn't say if the breaker trips with just the dryer running, if it does then the dryer could have a short.

dieselengineer

Charter Member
Kathy
I would first check the voltage between the incoming legs, if you are connected to 50 amp service this should be around 240v. Then check the voltage between neutral and each leg with the washer operating. The voltage should be about the same. If there is 15 volt or more voltage difference, then there is an issue with your neutral connection, commonly known as floating neutral.

kakampers

Thanks Guys! Don't know exactly what was happening...think Tab hit on it. Yesterday must have been drawing something else at the same time, as today I am running both and no problem. We will still check the tightness of connections to be sure.

Fred, I know it's not the dryer, as it was running fine by itself, but thanks for the idea....guess I just had an "electrical gremlin"....:)

Shadowchek

Thanks Guys! Don't know exactly what was happening...think Tab hit on it. Yesterday must have been drawing something else at the same time, as today I am running both and no problem. We will still check the tightness of connections to be sure.

Fred, I know it's not the dryer, as it was running fine by itself, but thanks for the idea....guess I just had an "electrical gremlin"....:)

The washer and drier together are a pretty good load so any loose connections would cause the breaker to trip. After it has overheated and tripped a few times it could be weak. If it happens again after tightening the connections just replace the breaker they don't cost too much. beyond that you need to start checking amp draw on your washer and drier. I would check my connections just to be on the safe side and go from there.

Greg