Planning to go to Idaho, make this Day Trip..

TXBobcat

Fulltime
We are on the way back to Houston and Rayford Crossing. We left Missoula MT and found Craters of the Moon and are staying at Arco KOA in Arco ID. This is a nice KOA. So we made plans to see the Craters of the Moon and wanted see the country around the area. We planned to make a day trip to include Craters of the Moon and Sawtooth National Forest. The trip through Craters of the Moon is 7 miles and about 283 miles thru Sawtooth.

Craters of the Moon is ok, but the trip around the Sawtooth is great. If you get up to this area, take the Sawtooth loop on my map, in the Sawtooth link, then do the Craters of the Moon another day. There is a town called Challis. We never went down to the town but from the road above it is quite beautiful.

Highway 75 north is great. In addition to the countryside there is a hotsprings you can soak your feet. On Hwy 93 south back to Arco you will see a rock wall it looks like your going to run into but it winds through the large hill and the mountain side once you get through is quite nice to look at.

Here are the links to my photos if your intrested.
Craters of the Moon
Sawtooth Mountains

And I thought you might enjoy this photo... Travel Safe and Enjoy.

DSC_3669.jpg

2010augusta

Craters of the moon is a great little park, but the real thrill is being able to crawl through the lava tube tunnels. You do have to be careful and a little flexible, but it is really neat to be inside the lava formations.

Here are photos from inside Boy Scout Cave. This was in the middle of June 2008, at that is ice on the walls and floor.

Attachments

• DSCN9349.JPG
    DSCN9349.JPG
    218.2 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCN9357.JPG
    DSCN9357.JPG
    248.8 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCN9320.JPG
    DSCN9320.JPG
    212 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCN9322.JPG
    DSCN9322.JPG
    189.5 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCN9324.JPG
    DSCN9324.JPG
    176.2 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCN9332.JPG
    DSCN9332.JPG
    148.4 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCN9343.JPG
    DSCN9343.JPG
    204.7 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCN9327.JPG
    DSCN9327.JPG
    161.8 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCN9346.JPG
    DSCN9346.JPG
    147.3 KB · Views: 10

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Hay Thanks for the photos...
I am to old and Aurthor has made it where I can't do much crawling..

Great photos..

BC

Clark

Thanks for the pictures of Boy Scout Cave. We explored Craters of the Moon in 2007 on our long trip. It was one of our favorite sights and is unfortunately little known. Awesome thinking that it was a predecessor to Yellowstone and that the hot spot that created both traveled and melted the Snake River Basin all the way from Oregon.
Clark