BH 3670 Bathroom Door

wdk450

Gang:
The bathroom door (non-sliding) on my 07 3670 RL is driving me nuts. The door or frame seems to be warped at the top/bottom so these parts hit about 1/4 inch before the latch at the center of the door. The latch seemed to be about 3/8 of an inch too far from the frame striker plate, so I installed a couple of thick washers under each of the striker plate screws. It is still a continuing fight to get this door to stay closed, and walking by in the hallway is often enough to pop it open.
Any suggestions???

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
No suggestions, but if you find a fix, let me know. Ours does it too. Same layout on the 3370 bath & bedroom. Walk down the hall and the door comes open.:eek:

Jarhead

USMC Phantom Phixer
Bathroom Door

No suggestions, but if you find a fix, let me know. Ours does it too. Same layout on the 3370 bath & bedroom. Walk down the hall and the door comes open.:eek:

We have a 3370RL and both doors for the bathroom are sliders (one a pocket door). There must have been a design change in 09.
You might have to re-align the door frame with small shims to square it to the proper door size.
Hope this helps.

caissiel

I have done major work on my W/D closet on my 3500RL BC and had to remove one door frame to pass the washer/Dryer, so I removed both and changed the swing of the door to suit our requirements. There is not much you can shime but if yoiu shime 1/8" on both frames you could get some proper alignment, I am not sure if it will stay aligned. My bathroom door striker is not centered on the lock, I left it that way not to need new screw holes. It could be realigned if required by using longer screw, because there is a good frame behind the jam.

wdk450

My Fix

Well, I am going to reply to my own post for help, as I have worked on the door and got it to where it is acceptable.

I removed the striker plate, used a drill-mounted rasp to enlarge the striker hole in the door frame toward the hallway to reliver the tightness from the warped door. I also added another pair of thick washers (for a total of 3) between the striker plate and the door frame. At first I didn't tighten the striker screws enough and couldn't close the door - that's how close the striker plate needs to be. The striker plate is now spaced about 3/8" off the door frame.

So far, I am O.K. with this but may elongate the striker plate mounting holes to relieve a little more pressure on the warped door.

slmayor

Thanks, Bill! I think we might try the washers as well. Ours only seems to be a little bit out. Dealer fixed one time, but it still opens when someone steps just in the right spot.

slmayor

Great job Bill! Ray used a couple washers under the striker plate and voila! the door stays closed! Thanks for the idea! Took him all of 5 minutes, including looking for the washers. :)

caissiel

These units do move a lot while traveling and the closer these units are to houses the more adjustments will be needed. On my old trailer I did not have any regular doors and alignment of latches were not required.