Thoughts on adding a second water heater switch.

2010augusta

In an effort to save a little electricity, we turn off the electric water heater when we know we won't need anymore hot water for a while. I have found the water will stay warm for over 12 hours:D, but every now and then I would like to be able to turn it back on as we are getting up(we like the snooze button). I am thinking it would be rather easy to add a second water heater switch, with the same function as the one in the main control panel, in the bedroom, so I do not have to get out of bed to turn on the heater.

Should/could I tie in to the wires at the water heater, or tie into the wall switch in the control panel and snake the wire back through the basement?

Just more ideas from the :cool:"idea man":cool:

irvin56

not sure on 12 volt wires

but on 110(house circuit) you would need to use 2 = 2 way switchs so that you can turn on either switch and current is correct.

I would personally e-mail or contact your HTH maker and ask them, then they could also tell you the way you can connect the 2 together.

or if all else fails, just run the one switch to your bedroom

http://www.myrv.us/electric/

Heres some basic stuff on electric and rv's

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Why not put it on a timer? That way if you and your wife both shower in the morning, you could set the timer to come on an hour or so before shower time and then shut off to save some electricity. I've seen it done on sticks and bricks houses and don't see why it wouldn't work in a trailer.

2010augusta

Well, after about three hours of looking on-line I finally found the 3-way pilot lighted switches I need to complete this project. I was scared for a bit when the ONLY switch that I could find were :mad:$39.95 a piece:mad:, But I looked some more and found them for :D$9.98 each:D Now I have to wait three or four week until we get to a address we we be at long enough to get a package. I will post up more details as I work on this project. I am pretty comfortable with work in electrical systems, but any pointers for the 3-way will be appreacated. I know I will have to run at least one more wire from the control panel switch to the new switch, but other than that I am still working in the ether:).

2010augusta

Why not put it on a timer? That way if you and your wife both shower in the morning, you could set the timer to come on an hour or so before shower time and then shut off to save some electricity. I've seen it done on sticks and bricks houses and don't see why it wouldn't work in a trailer.

We will not be keeping a ridged schedule so a timer would be a hassle, but thanks for the thought.

2010augusta

Do you have an estimate of how many KW-Hours/month this will save?

Probably not enough to pay the cost of the switches and wire in the near future, but I guess we only need to save 180 kw H to pay, so maybe it will. It really is just for comfort and laziness.

Here is the switch
l5638-2i-ea-2.jpg

jimtoo

What about installing one of the "On Demand" water heaters? I have heard of some people doing it. But it is electric only.

Jim M

2010augusta

What about installing one of the "On Demand" water heaters? I have heard of some people doing it. But it is electric only.

Jim M

AND pricey ... LP unit are available too. I can handle $30 worth of switches and wire, but $169 for elec and $199 for LP is a bit much.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Alan, make sure the "less expensive" switches are rated for the wattage of the HWH. Just a last second thought.;)

jimtoo

Alan,,,,it's only money!!!! Think of the prestige you would have when your in a park. You could say " I have instant hot water" or something like that...now just think about it..you could start a whole new conversation,, or maybe trend...show off your water heater... who knows...:D have people coming in all hours of the day and night just to feel your instant hot water...

Jim M