3500 Dodge tow limits

sgtbigb

Need help in understanding why a 3500 Dodge with 3.73 gear ratio has a tow limit of 13,500 lbs and the same truck with the same suspension. tires and etc with a 4.10 gear ratio has a tow limit of 16,500 lbs. Can somebody explain to me in very simple terms why this the case:confused:

Pulltab

Isn't one, that is the explanation, mechanics allows it to pull more. Partially is the manufacturer doesn't want you tearing up stuff while they have to pay. So there has to be a limit. Always remember pulling is only one part of the equation and not the most important. STOPPING is the important one. I see hundreds of times people say "It pulls just fine" :)

2010augusta

You need to remember your physic and how gears act as a torque multiplier. So a lower gear (higher number) is a larger multiplier of torque to the wheels. It is the torque that moves the weight of the rig. Its also makes the engine and transmission not have to work quite as hard to move the same weight.

Jimmyt5

Need help in understanding why a 3500 Dodge with 3.73 gear ratio has a tow limit of 13,500 lbs and the same truck with the same suspension. tires and etc with a 4.10 gear ratio has a tow limit of 16,500 lbs. Can somebody explain to me in very simple terms why this the case:confused:

3500 Quad cab short bed 6.7 /auto 3.73 is 14300.

Bobby A

I have the Dodge 3500 6.7 Mega cab, 3.73, single rear wheel. We pull the B/H 3580 a pretty heavy coach. The cummins turbo diesel seems to thrive on pulling the rig with little effort and the standard exhaust brake is totally awsome, I barely have to use the tow vehicles brakes when stopping. We all have our own opinions, but after all is said, you have to use whats safe and confortable for you.

Drew

I agree with the above statements. I have also heard it has to do with how fast the TV will accelerate with X amount of lbs. It's funny to me to limit the 373's to that weight. Same truck, same suspension, and 3000lbs less tow capacity. I dont think so.

beardedone

Beardedone
A lot of people are towing with 3:73 gears and don't have any problems. If you don't try to push too hard from a start there shouldn't be a problem. When you go to a dealer's lot you will find it very hard to see a new truck with 4:10 gears.

Ram2500HD

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum and me and DW were looking at a Sundance 2900MK 2010.

My question is I have a Dodge Ram 2500HD model Laramie with a 5.7l Hemi and a 3:73 gear. Can I safely tow this unit with my truck.

Thanks in advance.
Ram 2500HD

jgilbert

A lot of people are towing with 3:73 gears and don't have any problems. If you don't try to push too hard from a start there shouldn't be a problem. When you go to a dealer's lot you will find it very hard to see a new truck with 4:10 gears.

My thoughts exactly............you cannot find a 4.10 gears truck at all unless you want a manual transmission. Maybe if you order it, maybe.

Joe

mdhill

I think the truck manufacturers are very conservative on the tow ratings. My 2002 Dodge with a few upgrades and 3:55 gears does a good job. I use all
the gears when loaded (5 speed) and probably go to 4th sooner on hills but on level ground I set cruise on 60mph in 5th gear with no problems. Same brakes,
frame and all other components as a pickup with lower gears.

DW_Gray

My thoughts exactly............you cannot find a 4.10 gears truck at all unless you want a manual transmission. Maybe if you order it, maybe.

Joe

Well I owned a '08 Dodge 2500, then traded up to '08 3500. The 2500 had an automatic with 4.10 gears and so does my 3500.

Last edited:

DW_Gray

4.10 is not available with the manual transmission.

Well I'm reading my Dodge '08 brochure right now. Dodge offered the 5.7L Hemi V8 and the 6.7L CTD I-6 with manual trans with 4.10 gears in the 2500 and 3500 models.

hoefler

Check the 2010's, I am in the process of buying a 2010, pick it up 09/07/10. 4.10 not available with the maual transmission.

sgtbigb

I just brought a 2010 Dodge 3500 4x4 swd Larmarie, Wow what big difference between the 2007 and 2010. I think you will be pleased!

hoefler

Looking forward to getting it and setting it up for our Nov. trip to Florida. Hope to do a shake down run to Mt. Magazine at the end of the month.