Route to Indio Question

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
After playing with several routes I've come up with a plan. We've been on I35 south several times and this year we are going west so my plan is to pick up 54 out of Wichita and follow that to Tucumcari, NM and from there, take I40 West to Kingman AZ. How about some thoughts from you seasoned travelers. Our goal on the way out is to save time and see a little scenery. We'll take in more scenic stuff on the way back to WI next Spring when we have more time. Thanks

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
Ray are you going to be in Indio all winter??
We will be there the end of January

2010augusta

I can understand if you want to avoid the Rocky Mountains of Colorado, but I-80 to I-76 to I-70 to I-15 is shorter and more scenic, unless you love the plains of Kansas, But staying away for the big passes on I-70 you route looks good. When are you heading out?

Ray LeTourneau

Rand, Yes, we'll be there for the Winter. Shadow Hills RV Resort. Could there be a coincidence happening here? Stay in touch and let us know when you get in town.

Alan, we plan on leaving IL the first weekend of October. Thanks for the alternate info. I'll take a look at Streets & Trips. I'm not sure what type of grades there are but maybe a truckers site may have that info. Our plan is to get there in as little time as humanly possible and do the scenic stuff on the way back to WI. Time will not be an issue then.

sharmulst

Ray
We have taken 54 out of Wichita many times. It is only 2 lane from Kingman, KS all the way to Tucumcari, but the road was good the last time we were over it in April of this year.
There is a nice RV park out on the plains of KS just east of Liberal. However, if the wind is blowing (which it usually is) there isn't much to break it up. People were vvery friendly. We stopped there just after the big snow the end of March.
Also there are a couple nice parks in Tucumcari as well as a nice one in Milan, NM for only 15 dollars.
Enjoy your time in Indio, it is a nice area. We usually spend time at Indian Waters in Indio.

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
Ray we will be in 1000 Trails about January 25 for 2 weeks. I will let you know
Rand

trvlrerik

If you can time your trip to go into Tucumcari at night it is a Great view, I have driven that route several times. Fuel stops are always a consideration. Once you get into NM poor fencing can seem like you are driving in open range, but the scenery can be beautiful.

Ray LeTourneau

If you can time your trip to go into Tucumcari at night it is a Great view, I have driven that route several times. Fuel stops are always a consideration. Once you get into NM poor fencing can seem like you are driving in open range, but the scenery can be beautiful.
We have 2 nights planned in Tucumcari at Empty Saddle RV Park. The ratings in RV Park Reviews were pretty good. Thanks for the info.