Sticky cup-like door slider opener!

brunsje

I really don't know what else to call it! :D You know, the one that slides the plexiglass over! Okay, mine keeps falling off. I tried rubber cement. Fell off! I have had numerous suggestions but I thought I would ask you guys/gals for a solution that WORKS! I am ready to drill a hole through it and put a screw/washer/acorn nut on it!

All suggestions welcome!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Well Jerry, ya got be baffled. I have no idea what you're referring to. Any chance you could post a picture? I would really like to help but???

rick_debbie_gallant

Well Jerry, ya got be baffled. I have no idea what you're referring to. Any chance you could post a picture? I would really like to help but???
Ray:
if it is like my 3670 it is a silicone type knob with an indentation in the center. It is used to open the slide in the screen door in order to access the door latch on the main entrance door. His keeps falling off. Is that any clearer?

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
Try cleaning the Plastic and knob real good with denatured alcohol. Be sure to remove any previous glue or adhesive. Then apply clear Silicone Seal. Then tape with masking tape to hold it in place, while the Silicone Seal cures. After 24 hours remove the tape. You should be good to go.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Ray:
if it is like my 3670 it is a silicone type knob with an indentation in the center. It is used to open the slide in the screen door in order to access the door latch on the main entrance door. His keeps falling off. Is that any clearer?
Yes. I found out Heartland changed the door style. I don't recall seeing any of the new doors yet. Hmmm, looks like my door opener latch that so many friends have will be obsolete soon;).

Tom of Ypsi

Ray,

Your door opener latch will not become a "Classic" like my Landmark unless we by a new coach. I like having a classy looking coat hanger fashioned into a door opener with a classy looking wire nut attached. How much classier can one be in a "Classic Landmark"?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Sorry, Ray, but I went with the opener from CW that is probably a commercial knock-off of your invention. With it, I can open the latch and still be able to use the slider. From the outside, it looks like a little black appendage sticking out at you :eek:

wdk450

I really don't know what else to call it! :D You know, the one that slides the plexiglass over! Okay, mine keeps falling off. I tried rubber cement. Fell off! I have had numerous suggestions but I thought I would ask you guys/gals for a solution that WORKS! I am ready to drill a hole through it and put a screw/washer/acorn nut on it!

All suggestions welcome!

I found a pair of small white knobs in 1 pack at WalMart for less than $2. I drilled holes and put one on the inside on the plastic slide, and 1 on the inside on the metal channel above the slide. The slide knob is for sliding the slide , the channel knob is for closing the screen door.

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
Yes, also thought about super glue, but sometimes with heat it becomes brittle and releases. Silicone is more resistant to heat and large temperature swings. I have used it to mount rear view mirrors on windshields and it never came loose

Arkansas1

Past Arkansas Chapter Leaders
Simple fix for me, removed the rubber grip altogether and went to lowes and found two matching knobs (brushed finished) that the dw liked, "carefully and slowly" drilled one hole big enough for the hardware screw to go through, cut one of the screws and used it to fasten both knobs, putting a rubber washer between the plexi and knobs to keep it from damaging the plexi. end result clean sharp look! And still functional...

2010augusta

Since when is the slider in the screen door Plexiglas? I have only seen the molded white plastic ones that crack and chip really easy. Can someone please post a picture of a Plexiglas-glass one?

We have the silicone knob on our screen door slider so I know what you are talking about. We have not had it fall off but tried to order one for the outside of the door so we could close the slide easier instead of getting fingerprints all over the plexiglass. We could not get one from the parts department (that part is not sold seperately) but plan to look at our local hardware store for something simular to attach to the outside. We have used Gorilla Glue for a lot of our projects and it works well.

Larry and Joanna
2010 3055RL Big Horn
2008 Dodge Diesel 4X4 3/4 Ton

rick_debbie_gallant

We have the silicone knob on our screen door slider so I know what you are talking about. We have not had it fall off but tried to order one for the outside of the door so we could close the slide easier instead of getting fingerprints all over the plexiglass. We could not get one from the parts department (that part is not sold seperately) but plan to look at our local hardware store for something simular to attach to the outside. We have used Gorilla Glue for a lot of our projects and it works well.

Larry and Joanna
2010 3055RL Big Horn
2008 Dodge Diesel 4X4 3/4 Ton

How about trying a small or medium suction cup for a knob.. or perhaps a silcone furniture wheel or caster cup and cut or make your own design....