New Big Country Owner in NB here

caissiel

We have just moved in our new 3500RL Big Country. We would like to here from other NB owners so we can share Ideas and fun. My friends have come to visit our unit and find we are so lucky. I tell them its our home we live in it 12/12 months. We travel south to spend the colder months.

My friend was amazed at the storage in the chairs and he said he was going home to do some modifications to his Cedar Creek chairs.

I spend the whole day installing our Washer/Dryer, Sound System, 12Volt plug in the Desk Area, Internet Satelite Connections, Additional Batteries. The big job was to enter the Washer/Dryer in the unit. It would not pass through the Closet door so one door frame had to be removed, I was missing 1/2" for clearing the washer. So we decided to change the swing of the door and the closet became a coat room and washer/dryer room. I moved the light forward and the bar up and back.

caissiel

I have been busy today, I always set up my truck to suit the trailer. For the last 5th wheel, my truck was much to high so I lowered the rear by removing the 2" spacers. This lowered the truck to suit the trailer. In addition the previous owner of my truck had added 2 extra leaf of spring and it made the truck stay high in the back, enough that the front was still lower then the back but the removal of the spacers lowered the rear to suit. I like the back of the truck to be lower then the front to create more clearance at the rear of the box. But the new trailer hitch is much higher and with the extra leafs the truck rode like a ton truck so I removed one ply and reinstalled the 2" spacers. I set up the trailer and hitch height so the 5th is level when I remove the trailer from the truck. Now the truck rides with the truck rear 1in lower then the front when the 5th is on.
I made a satelite hitch on the 5th wheel pin to carry my satelites when I travel and also use the same for satelites setup. In addition I made a Rear Hitch to carry my bikes, I have a bike rack I made 12 years ago, it also can fit on the rear hitch of the truck, Tomorrow I will Paint all the fabricated brackets and install them later.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Congrats on the new Big Country! I had mentioned in an recent post that I had looked at one of the newer versions of the 3500RL today. The one with the new color scheme and two toned cabinets. Is yours one of these? They are very nice.

caissiel

No my model was build in march 2008, It was a late year model that I picked up here at a very good price. Its got every option a BC can have except electric awning and gelcoat siding. I like the G tires and the double glassed windows. My wife loves the Kitchen and bedroom. I guess the desk / Entertainment section is mine. I changed the swing of the door for the Washer/Dryer closet, we had to step in the bedroom to access the washer and the closet. Now its so easy to access the washer from the hallway.

caissiel

WOW, I just filled my fresh water tank today to see if I could fill it. Put the hose in and not one drop of water leaked out untill it was full to the neck. This center is great, the water just leaked out of the bottom hole. I would never place the cover on the bottom unless I was traveling, even at that where is the tank overflow going to go if the bottom cap is screwed in. there should be a small hole in it to allow the thing to drain.

Last edited:

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Congratulations on your new condo on wheel. We have thoroughly enjoyed our Big Country and know you will enjoy it too.

caissiel

Well we have been busy the last few weeks , its more like 4 weeks. I have since switched the bed to a queen size. It realy made the bedroom feel like a bedroom. It gives more room to the closet and passing room by the dresser. I also installed independent hydraulic slide valves. I installed 2 hoses and 4 hydraulic valves that permits the isolation of individual slides. I was always findings reasons to open and close individual slides setting up, and also we were very nervous about opening and closing the slides. Now I feel more relaxed that the slides can be individually operated. Of course there is a need to go outside to control but its a small thing compared to opening 3 slides if you need to open the last on first.

caissiel

We are here in Florida and enjoying the nice weather by the pool side.
Went for a walk in the woods here had a great time.
Hey for the Saints
Its going to be good for the NO, LA area for sure

loafer

Cant believe you have done so much already to your new rig .
Congrats you should be proud of your rig and all the mods .Enjoy the sunshine and warmth.
Bill

caissiel

Going to do more, I was checking the slide plywood ends just now, some plywood ends are showing under the trim. Planning on calking it, so the water will not ruin the plywood. Saw a post on this earlier this fall.