signal meter

2010augusta

I just use the one built into the DirecTV receivers. I bought one of the $10 analog ones off ebay, but I have never used it. I use a old boy scout compass and the built-in elevation gauge, to get in the ballpark when setting up, and them fine tune the signal with the receivers and help from the DW.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I use a cheapo available HERE on ebay. Around ten bucks. I use it to find one satellite, but then fine tune using the reciever signal meters to lock in the other four. If you have a one LNB dish then it is a little easier.

Peace
Dave

cdnrver

I saw those cheaper ones on the internet but understand that they do not work all that well.

My dish is a 75cm oval dual line.

SmokeyBare

The cheap ones work fine... it locates a signal well... but keep in mind they locate a Satellite Signal, any signal... they are not going to ONLY find the signal of your Satellite. To have that kind of detailed meter your going to need to pay a lot more for one.

jwb187

Its easier to just raise a window and listen for your directv receiver to beep when you hit the signal. The faster the beep the stronger the signal. Get a compass and get your azimuth and elevation reading from entering the zip code where your are. I haven't found any need for any fancy and costly signal finders by using the above method. jwb.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
We threw the signal meter away too. We just listen to the audible beeps after getting direction from the compass. It seems like it either takes 30 seconds to find or it's "let the screaming begin and you can't find it at all.

caissiel

I have my TV setup with the stereo unit in the aux input, behind the front face panel. When i want to setup the satelite I just put the front outside speakers and listen for the beap. I use the orienteering style compass to find the pointing location. I bought one of those finder unit from Ebay for $10.00 and it worked fine but have misplaced it. The TV and Satelite box is always available. I use my portable computer to set the internet satelite after the TV unit is setup, the pointing is off by just 3 deg.