Hey, LarryHeadhunter you can pass the baton now.

DW_Gray

Last Monday, Aug. 24<sup>th</sup>, I immediately thought of you Larry. So here is what happened as reported to my insurance agent.

At approximately 4:30 pm I arrived at the Vandenberg AFB FamCamp RV Park. As I was driving down the street, an SUV was approaching. I drove near the right edge of the street but not too close as there was a white car parked just off the right edge. When the SUV got next to me, I realized that the driver wanted to talk. He introduced himself as Steve and said he was the Camp Host. He told me that the office was closed. He then said that I could use space 1 which was on the left approximately 50 feet from me. Steve chatted with me a bit more giving me instructions for the next day as to what to do at the office when it opened. Steve again said for me to just pull in to space 1 because it would be easier for me with my big rig.<o>

</o> Steve drove away and I began my maneuver to turn into space #1. The road was narrow, so I had to veer to the right to make a wide left turn into the space. As I was turning, I felt my truck shift a bit and figured it was from the slight dip at the edge of the road. I continued pulling in while closely watching a street marker on my left at the corner of the entrance of the space and the street. After I completed my pull-through, I got out to check the position the my RV. At that time, Steve had backed up and a bystander informed me that my RV had hit the white car. I had forgotten that the car was parked at the edge of the street. I was completely surprised by this mishap. Due to the long length of my RV, I collided with the white car, hitting the driver’s side mirror and the front quarter panel.<o>

</o> So Larry hand it over.

And Bob, I want be hurt if you want to call me Crash.

//heartlandowners.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=4996&stc=1&d=1251788669

//heartlandowners.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=4995&stc=1&d=1251788669

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Ouch!:eek: Sorry to hear of your mishap. I caught a dumpster once with the left rear of the 5th wheel in a tight turn. I didn't know it till we got to our next stop and fortunately it was minor enough to clean up and use a little touch up paint.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Hi Dave,
My condolences to you regarding your accident. I appreciate you naming your thread in my honor LOL. Those wide turns in close quarters will get you every time. I have been lucky enough to avoid contact with my insurance company since day one of my RV ownership, knock on wood. I give alot of credit to this forum, and the friends I have developed with such good advice to avoid those impulsive decisions that cause those little mishaps. The best and happiest part of your post, besides naming it after me, is that no one was hurt. Materiel items can be fixed or replaced, as my mom used to tell me and she was right. So what if your insurance will double for the next few years? I am very sorry about this accident. It is always a bad sign when you kinda feel like something brushed against you or you hit a little bump in the road LOL.
Consider the baton handed over Dave, but the truth is, you could hand it to hundreds of folks who have had little mishaps every day. Even those guys who say they like to get to campgrounds early, grab the chips and a beer and watch people like me back in, may not admit it, but they too have had their times of dispair and hard knocks on the road. That is the life of a RVer, bro, like it or lump it. That's what insurance companies are for.

I have saved, and will pass on to you when I see you Dave, the "Crash" name tag Bob presented to me at the first Socal rally. And it's nice to see you will not take it as hard as I did your new moniker. Just shake it off and move on.
I will know go back to bed to recover from the major back surgery I had 11 days ago. Pain sucks that's for sure. I can barely get around a little with a walker.