light switch

D

dlpmx

The ceiling lights are 8 feet off the floor.The light switch is 1 1/2 feet off the floor.How about a switch or dimmer at chest height? I've ordered a 12V dimmer I plan to put next to the counter.Should be an easy install.

Dale

Northern Virginia
Can you use a dimmer on 12v fluorescent lights? I know with 120v fluorescent lights, you have to have a dimming ballast. If it works, that will be cool! Let us know.

John

2010augusta

Can you use a dimmer on 12v fluorescent lights? I know with 120v fluorescent lights, you have to have a dimming ballast. If it works, that will be cool! Let us know.

John

John, The road warrior has incandescent lights through out, only the Landmarks have fluorescent fixtures.

Dale, I'm not that familiar with the road warrior, but which light has a switch so low?

porthole

Retired
On the Cyclone, similar to the Road Warrior, it is here.

Attachments

• Cyclone_int_38.jpg
    Cyclone_int_38.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 176
D

dlpmx

The Main living area light switch. It is a foot off the floor right by the front door.

Dale

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
That should be the switch for the main entry light just inside the doorway. It's designed that way in the Sundance so you can turn it on while still standing outside if you come back to the trailer after dark. The theory is good and it works great when coming in after dark and all the lights are off. HOWEVER, to turn it off, you have to bend WAY down or get on your knees. I look at it as a "Trade-Off".

2010augusta

I see, That could be an issue. In the LM we have a hallway light and porch light switch that are honestly 4 inches off the floor. I just use my toes to turn the switches. Easy to reach when outside and not to bad from the inside. A main interior light at 18 inches would be a pain.

D

dlpmx

On mine the main panel is on the front of the counter.It is 3 feet from the door.No way to turn it on while outside.It hides behind a bar stool.It is exactly 19 inches off the floor.When my new switch comes in It will be installed between the counter top and the tv cabinet. 39 inches up.I'll still have to bend over for the outside lights but we haven't used those yet.

Dale

D

dlpmx

Well after looking for what seemed like forever I finally found a switch I liked. It is a 12V dc dimmer made by American Technology Components Inc. It has a on off switch with a separate dimmer next to it. The color and writing almost match the stock switches perfectly. Very easy install.Only took 20 min including cutting a hole for the new switch.Now the switch is 39 inches off the floor and very easy to get to_Only down side was $80 for the switch

Dale

http://www.atcomp.com/php/product.php?type_id=2&prod_cat=10&prod_id=98

Last edited:
D

dlpmx

I got lucky and a local dealer had one.I also found the same switch on ebay.The dealer was Quality RV in McLean IL.Ebay was a little cheaper but the dealer was in stock.

Dale

tsmith

Lack of light switches

In addition to the main switch being located just off the floor, there are no light switches for the two bathrooms and garage entrance on my 2010 Road Warrior RW 395. Kids unable to reach the ceiling, any suggestions?:(

Jellystone

tsmith, as far as the garage, we have 4 switches back there 1 for lowering beds-1 for turning on rear floodlights-1 for fantastic fan-1 for turning on overhead lights. In the bathroom we usually just turn them on for the kidos at night and leave them on until its time for bed. You can plug a night light in by the sink in case one of them has to "take care of business" in the middle of the night.

Mike Aplin

We are currently running a light switch in the main bathroom for the Cyclone and Road Warrior products. Thanks, Mike

Mike Aplin

That question is one we better reserve the experts in regards to the dimmer switch. Please contact customer service to see what their advice would be. Take care, Mike

mrendahl

Speaking of light switches, one of the things I thought was an oversight on our 2011 RW 405 is the lack of a light switch on the wall immediately as you walk in the front door. Having to open up the control panel above the kitchen sink and feel around for the correct switch when it's pitch black in the desert seems inconvenient. I was wondering if there is a way to install a switch "after the fact" or maybe an idea for future design.

Mike Aplin

We put all of your switches behind the control panel this year so that they wouldn't be strewn in many different locations for convenience based on customer feeback. If you have a 110V outlet somewhere, you possible could tie off of that for an additonal switch depending on the location. Thanks, Mike