Axle Flip

canuck22

Has anyone flipped the axle on the northtrail for additional ground clearance? We like to dry camp and take our trailer on some rougher back roads. I have had problems already with scraping. Would this void the warranty?

Pulltab

I doubt that you can actually flip the axle, you would have to put new spring perchs on and mount the springs on the top side of the axle. Most axles has a bend built into them to allow for spring under weight to keep the wheels in vertical alignment and prevent wear. Maybe you knew that but was just making sure. :)

canuck22

I've heard many different opinions on the axle. What makes it confusing when your talking to experienced mechanics and they all tell you different stories. One of the local RV shops quoted me 4 hrs of work which worked out to around 350. He swore I had to weld on the new perches. Other people I know did the job in around an hr and just flipped the axle and reinstalled the brakes.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Try contacting Lippert directly at 574-537-8900. They manufacture the axles and are your best bet for a solution.