hitch(pin) weight for 3580BH

Bobby A

Has anyone ever did an actual hitch (pin) weight on their 3580 Big Horn ?? I know the brochure says its 2,200 lbs but am curious if anyone has done an actual weight.I have a 2010, 3580 .Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
The best advice I can give you Bobby is to go to a CAT scale and weigh your rig. I'm confident you know, pin weights will vary from rig to rig. I'm pretty sure the advertised pin weight is an averaged weight from a given number of 3580's coming off the assembly line. That said, the unloaded pin weight can vary as well. Our 3400RL when fully loaded has a #3000 pin weight.

CrazyScotsman

I doubt this will help you Bobby, but this is what my truck and 3580 weighed in at.
Just me in truck Ford F350 crew cab dually, 3/4 tank of fuel( 28.5 gallons ), trailer partially full of my junk ( when I moved back from TX )
Steer axle...4880 lbs
Drive axle....6680 lbs
Trailer axles..11000 lbs
Gross weight..22560 lbs
I know my weights will be higher now that the DW has added more junk in the trailer.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Actually your exact pin weight could even vary from day to day for example, today you have a 2 half full gray tanks and tomorrow you do not. Today you rig is full of groceries and a week from now it isn't. You can see what I mean. Pin weight can vary also according to how high you hitch is.

jbeletti

Bobby,

If you can, make more than one pass (reweigh) on the scales so you can get the hitched and unhitched weights of truck, trailer and combination. The scales will have to not be busy and you will have to let the operator know what you are doing in advance. Go inside to speak to them first. Too hard to understand from the intercom outside, if you can reach it! They are high!!

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Here is the URL for locating a CAT Scale near you.
http://catscale.findlocation.com/

When you go to weigh tell them your going to do a Reweigh and the second weigh will be cheaper.

Pull onto the scale so your steering axle is on the first section of the scale. Your drive axle on the next one and your trailer on the third one. Push the button way up high.. You can get to it if you stand on the step bar on your truck, maybe..

Go drop your trailer back out of the way where they park semi's. Pull back upon the scales and push the button and tell them this is your reweigh.

Pull off, go hook up and then get your tickets. You will get a Trucker card on a lot of your weigh's. Kids or Grandkids might like them...

FWIW
BC