Here's a good one...

mabyrnes

Bought a Cyclone 3010 in April. Hit a tree (well, rubbed up against it) in May. Didn't look too bad, a small dent really, but looks can be deceiving. The repair quote was $53,000!!!!! Luckily, I had good insurance (and accident forgiveness on top) and after the unit was written off I received full value from the insurance company, minus deductible. And my insurance rate won't be affected, wither, thanks to the forgiveness built into the policy. Today, I upgraded to a 3812. I ended up better than I started off but what a summer! Lesson learned is this: make sure you have good insurance when you buy your unit! Without top notch insurance my experience could have been much, MUCH worse. And also, stay away from parks with lots of trees! KOA all the way!

nscaler2

So what brand of insurance do you have??

Bought a Cyclone 3010 in April. Hit a tree (well, rubbed up against it) in May. Didn't look too bad, a small dent really, but looks can be deceiving. The repair quote was $53,000!!!!! Luckily, I had good insurance (and accident forgiveness on top) and after the unit was written off I received full value from the insurance company, minus deductible. And my insurance rate won't be affected, wither, thanks to the forgiveness built into the policy. Today, I upgraded to a 3812. I ended up better than I started off but what a summer! Lesson learned is this: make sure you have good insurance when you buy your unit! Without top notch insurance my experience could have been much, MUCH worse. And also, stay away from parks with lots of trees! KOA all the way!
Glad to hear that you had a positive outcome after your accident. That is a rarity with insurance companies these days. Can you tell us what kind of insurance you have? Thanks:)

jbeletti

The only time a tree has every jumped out in front of me was at the Granger, IN KOA :) Oops! That was with my '05 Landmark Mt. Rushmore. Wiped out a slide awning.

Couple hundred dollar lesson. I look up now instead of only down. This dang tree was curved and I caught the curve at about 10 feet up.

Jim

rl7greg

Who was your insurance with out of curiousity? Sounds like you would recommend them... I got insurance with Aviva (https://www.avivacanada.com/product.php?content=ELITE&language=ENGLISH) - the deluxe coverage -it is guaranteed replacement cost as well, but I would pay a bit more to deal with a company that is easy to deal with when you're making a claim.

Thanks,

Greg

PS - Geeksrus, if you read this - there's an idea to get your RV fixed ;-)

Last edited:

mabyrnes

My insurance was through Co-operator's. It only cost $400.00 per year. It did not include replacement cost, but because the trailer was so new I got what I paid for it. And there was no hassle whatsoever. Quote came in, unit was written off and cheque was issued. Very prompt. I will probably renew with them, although I will specify replacement cost this time 'round - just in case! I don't know if the specialty insurance firms - the ones that deal mostly with RVs - would be any better. Any thoughts?

geeksrus

The only time a tree has every jumped out in front of me was at the Granger, IN KOA :) Oops! That was with my '05 Landmark Mt. Rushmore. Wiped out a slide awning.

Couple hundred dollar lesson. I look up now instead of only down. This dang tree was curved and I caught the curve at about 10 feet up.

Jim

Don't feel bad... the same thing happened to me in Osoyoos BC in November 2007.

eh!

geeksrus

PS - Geeksrus, if you read this - there's an idea to get your RV fixed ;-)

I had an insurance adjuster looking at the damage caused by the recent broken spring... regrettably something like that is not considered an 'accident' but is a wear&tear/warranty item so 'no go':mad:.

Eh!

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
I had an insurance adjuster looking at the damage caused by the recent broken spring... regrettably something like that is not considered an 'accident' but is a wear&tear/warranty item so 'no go':mad:.

Eh!

Wow!! RV insurance must be different than auto insurance. I would have thought that they would cover the damage, but not the part that broke. I had a fuel pump go out on a truck that I owned. It caught the engine compartment on fire, bubbled paint on the hood and damaged all the wiring on the engine. My insurance paid for all the damage, but would not pay for the failed part that caused the damage.
Fred

AL KADEY

ALLEYKAT&MOMMAKAT
MY 2006 BH 3600RL WAS STOLEN LAST JUNE FROM CALGARY AB AND RECOVERED 6 DAYS LATER IN BRITISH COLUMBIA. FRAME HAD BEEN BENT, I-BEAMS ROLLED OUT TO CURB SIDE, SHOCK BRACKETS TORN OFF, SPRING SHACKLES BUCKLED, SLIDE-OUTS TWISTED AND OUT OF ALIGNMENT etc,etc. APRAISER ESTIMATED $58457. CAN. CAN NOT IMAGINE WHAT THEY DID OR WHERE THEY DRAGGED THE TRAILER TO DO THAT KIND OF DAMAGE.
WE ARE INSURED WITH AVIVA/ELITE INSURANCE, COST WAS DEDUCTIBLE $500. AND REPLACED WITH A 09 BH 3670RL. ALL ADD-ONS WERE INCLUDED ie 120 W SOLAR PANEL/MAGUM INVERTER/WINDOW AWNING etc. ALSO THE INSURANCE RETURNED THE TRAILER TO CALGARY ON A HAUL-ZALL (as it could not be towed) AND ALLOWED US TO RECOVER ALL OUR PERSONEL STUFF THAT WAS STILL IN THE TRAILER. ONLY THING THAT WAS REMOVED WAS THE 42" & 27" FLAT SCREEN TVS I HAD INSTALLED.
PROCESS TOOK ABOUT 2 1/2 MONTHS FOR RECOVERY, ESTIMATES, APRAISAL etc. BUT WE WERE MORE THAN PLEASED OVER THE TREATMENT WE RECEIVED FROM AVIVA.

rl7greg

...WE WERE MORE THAN PLEASED OVER THE TREATMENT WE RECEIVED FROM AVIVA.

Good to know. It's reassuring to hear good outcomes like that. I am glad I went with Aviva for the collision/comprehensive vs ICBC (In BC we have to get basic liability coverage through the province's insurance company, but can shop around for collision and comprehensive coverage).

bigredtruck

BC insurance

Good to know. It's reassuring to hear good outcomes like that. I am glad I went with Aviva for the collision/comprehensive vs ICBC (In BC we have to get basic liability coverage through the province's insurance company, but can shop around for collision and comprehensive coverage).

I am going to look into that, as I am not entirely comfortable with just the ICBC insurance. Thanks.