Problem with front leg extender

I own a 2009 Sundance 2998rb. I always block my front legs at least with 2 or 3 pieces of 1 foot 2x12's. I have a mark on my front legs because I was blowing fusses. Lesson learned. Know I bring it home and only one leg wants to drive down with the motor. I pulled the pin on the long bar that attaches to the broken leg. To my suprise it just kept spinning. I popped off the top to see what was going on with the worm gear and it just kept spinning with no resistance. I think God was watching me because I got it off my truck without any damage. I have holiday plans to use this coach is it safe to stay in with only one good leg? I lower the coach so, the broken leg is touching the ground. If I have a pin broken inside the leg. How come only one broke? They traveled the same distance. Do you think Heartland will cover this broken pin if that is what broken. It's just frustrating because it all happened after 5pm and everybody was closed. This will be the 3rd issuse I have had with these front leg extenders. (Motor spun, fuse, and this broken part) I hope service has the part in stock and can get me in because I leave friday afternoon. Thanks everyone. Sorry for so long and wordy. It's just frustrating. I have had this coach worked on more than my wifes new car. Go figure and GO BLUE

nemo45

When there is only one motor driving your landing gear there is a drive linkage going to one leg and the other is driven directly by the motor and gear. Usually, when the leg driven by the linkage quits working and the other still works, the pin has been sheared that holds the linkage to the drive shaft. This pin is relatively easy to replace, can't remember the exact size, but is either 1/4" or 5/16", and you can use a bolt in its place. It may have had a bolt in it originally. Wouldn't think a fifth wheel the size of yours would need it, but you can buy a kit to install another motor and eliminate the linkage. Some of the heavier high end fifthwheels have this set-up or go to hydraulic landing gears.

Last edited:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Help me understand what "pin" you are referring to. The pin that releases the leg extension? OR- Open your front storage compartment and check the square shaft that crosses between the right and left legs. There are bolts going through this shaft on either end. You may have a broken bolt in this shaft which will cause the leg opposite the motor to stop functioning. Hope this helps.

The "pin" I'm talking about is the one that is inside the leg extender but, in the storage compartment. I gues it can break if the leg extenders travel to far up. I did remove the bolt that passes through the drive shaft from the motor side to the non motor side and it was not broken or sheared off. My only conclusion is either the worm gear is stripped out or that pin inside the leg extender inside the storage compartment is broken. I'll find out tuesday when I take it in for service after Labor Day. The dealer and I have already talked to Heartland and have oked the work because I'm still under my 1 year warranty. I'll keep you up to date on what happens.

virago01

Front leg extender

I had the same problem on my 2009 Sundance 2900mk. It was the leg closest to the drive motor. My nearest dealer was 70 miles away and they had a backlog of repairs and I needed my 5th wheel for a wedding trip in a week. I called Heartland directly and discussed the problem with Eric in service.He was a great help and extremely cordial to deal with! Since my unit was still under warranty he agreed to ship me a new landing leg and I would replace it myself as it would benefit Heartland by saving the labor costs. I received it within 3 days and had it changed in about 45 minutes. I took the old leg apart and found the problem to be the keys had come out that held the spur gear on the shaft!

sunriverman

Where can we find a diagram or website that explains the mechanics of the landing gear and parts. Seems like there are many posts with leg extended problems that go beyond blown fuses. Thank you in advance.

jbeletti

Where can we find a diagram or website that explains the mechanics of the landing gear and parts. Seems like there are many posts with leg extended problems that go beyond blown fuses. Thank you in advance.

Go here to find some manuals on this sort of thing. I am pretty sure there are diagrams in some of them. Focus on the Jacks/Levelers section.

Jim