Solar Panel install

canuck22

Im looking at putting a solar panel on the roof our our 31BHD. WIth the roof design, what method do your recommend for securing the panel to the roof of the trailer. I have the panel set to go behind the AC and next to the fridge vent. With only the 1/4 board up top, the one screw I put in didn't feel very snug. Any ideas before I proceed?

wyleyrabbit

Did you hit a stud? Remember, the panels will have to withstand 60++ mph winds when you drive. Our dealer installed the panels on ours, because I chickened out.

Edmonton

The mount system that came with my panel consisted of a rubber well nut that basically swelled up once the bolt "drew" the nut upwards. I was worried about it at first and yes the 1/4" made me nervous. FYI there are no studs up there, only block foam and a couple of aluminum cross members.

Don't know what your mounting system is like, but I put sealant down the holes I drilled. I then tightened the well nuts, being careful not to over tighten them. I then put lots of self leveling sealant over the mounting bracket attached the roof. After the sealant set up it was very sturdy and I haven't had an issue with it all summer. There is a thread in the forum here with pictures.

David

canuck22

I did not hit a stud..I called the dealership and asked for drawings to confirm the cross member locations. They couldn't provide me with anything. I didn't hear anything back yet from the factory so I went ahead and followed the other example. My brackets had a 2"x4" footprint. I ran a bead of outdoor silicone around the footprint, then used a 1" roof screw(with rubber washer) into each foot. I put the screw in 1/2 way then pulled it out and filled the hole with silicone. I then hand tightened the screw until snug. I covered the entire footprint with the dicor sealant after that. If this thing leaks after all this, I'll be amazed. If it tears out of the roof, I'll wish I'd screwed into the aluminum. I'll be sure to let you know how it goes.