XM radio

dieselengineer

Charter Member
The satellite radio (I guess this the best place to place this thread), How many have installed one? Locate the antenna on roof? I have found since most of the campsites I vist are really wooded, I needed to place the antenna on the roof. Works great, hard to camp without it. XM the way to go.

ChopperBill

The radio in the entertainment center also doesn't work to well with the standard antenna (wire shaped in the form of a T stuffed in the cabinet) A roof mounted antenna would be much better.

dieselengineer

Charter Member
Yes, the antenna provided for old FM is poor. However who listens to old FM when there is XM radio available. Also the satellite antenna is the size of a half dollar. Really easy to place on the roof.

kerry

xm atenna

I Have A 3400 Bh. I Set My Antenna On The Top Shelf Of The Entertainment Center And It Works Fine.

Kerry

svd

XM or Sirius

Dieselengineer,

When you say XM is the only way to go, do you mean compared to FM, or to Sirius? Just starting to look at this, and for now I don't see much difference between the two satellite providers. I did see a personal XM receiver with MP3 made by Pioneer at Circuit City, I wonder if it has a docking station for use in the trailer or car. A little spendy, it was $400.

How did you install the antennae on the trailer roof?

dieselengineer

Charter Member
I am comparing satellite radio to old FM. There is only a little difference between XM and Sirius. Whatever one likes. XM seems to have a better coverage in my area, but that varys from place to place. I have to place the antenna on the roof. I tried the inside location, however some place (the place we like to go) the signal was to leak to hold the program. Now with the roof location it is more reliable. I ran my out the front clearence light on the top of the front piece. A little hard to fish the line, however works good once installed.

BluegrassMan

Sirius "Fan" here. The Bluegrass channel has better music and on air dj's. IMHO. But either one beats the heck out of am/fm.

nhunter

I have Sirius and my only beef is that they say "commercial free music", but their comedy and sports channels have advertising.

BluegrassMan

nhunter:
I have a friend that has XM in his suv, and gets Sirius through his Sat.TV. He says that some channels are better on Sirius then some are better on XM. I guess he has the best of both worlds. I'll NEVER go back to FM.

BluegrassMan

On the statement "commercial free music". They are correct, it's just the music. But there are SO many music channels, I can put up with it on the talk and entertainment channels.

Just go back to REGULAR radio, stop sets every 10 minutes, Ads for at least 3 min. then Public Service Announcments, then weather. Don't need that anymore. It's worth 34 cents a day.

dieselengineer

Charter Member
I agree, satellite radio is the way to go. You can tow all day and never need to search for a local station. Then at camp, the nice music is there all the time. I installed the antenna on the roof and have not had a problem with signal. Just select your type of music and go about doing other things, like reading great forum posting.

nhunter

Blue grass man, Right you are. I switched to FM and ad after ad. Never worked out the price per day, but sure sounds cheap that way!