Installing a generator in a Bighorn

pcthikersam

pcthikersam
Hi, received my kit the other day, very nice.
We are the proud owners of a 2010 Bighorn 3055RL. I want to install a hard wired surge protector, and I have just purchased an Onan 3600LP Gen. I need to find electrical schematics of my unit. Does anyone know how to acquire such information?
Thanks for the information in advance.
Sam

jbeletti

Sam,

For the most part, Heartland does not supply schematics. I suggest you contact customer service to go over your plan. Ask them any questions you have about the install. If they don't know the answer, they can usually go to the plant, get the answer and get back with you.

I can tell you this. Generally:

If your unit does NOT have the GenPrep option, the shore power goes from the connector on the side of the coach, directly to the AC Service Panel. You can pull the cover and face off the panel and see the service wires where they connect to the 2-pole 50 amp breaker and the neutral and ground buses.

If your unit DOES have the GenPrep option, there will be a metal box that is am automatic load transfer switch. The switch is usually in the utility area behind the bulkhead wall, more or less under the AC Service Panel but accessible from below the kitchen floor only. In this case, the shore power goes from the connector on the side of the coach, directly to the transfer switch (supply A). Then lines will come out of the transfer switch (load) to the AC Service Panel. Finally, lines will come out of the transfer supply B) to a box in the generator area.

Best of luck to you.

Jim

grizzlygiant

The ONAN 3600 LP is a great choice. We found ours to be totally satisfactory and a real blessing to enable the use of the AC when stopping for a roadside lunch/nap.