replacing tires

kgwatkins

I am fed up with the ST tires and I am considering changing to the michelin xps rib 235/85R16.

My maximum axle loading is 10,800 lbs on two 6000lb axles.
I know the xps is overkill but the peace of mind is worth millions.

Has anyone had any experience with these tires, do they cause trailer sway?

Is there a better solution?

Best Regards
Ken Watkins:confused:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I myself have Goodyear G614's but many owners are running Michelins without a problem. I'm not sure there is such a thing as overkill when tires and safety come into play.

caissiel

I had ST225-75-15 on my last trailer and they never lasted, had many blowouts. Went to LT235-75-15 truck tires and the tire problem ended. The LT tires were rated 300Lbs less and same load rating C, So I keeped then at max pressure. I was told they are not going to last, but it solved my problem. This is why my new trailer has G tires and 7000# axles.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have the XP Rib's on my Bighorn 3400. I changed to them when I left the dealer's lot. Have had no problems. I have Mor/Ryde IS system which added weight to my trailer. The Michelins are running at their limit and I still am having no problem.

I have used Michelins for many years and will only go to another brand if I can't get the necessary tire from Michelins.

BC

geeksrus

I also run with the Michelin XPS Ribs and I'm very happy with them. Although, I sure wish that they would come out with a higher rated than the 'E's.

My recent suspension problem caused extensive damage to 2 of the tires and I firmly believe if it weren't for the quality of the Michelin's, the tires would have blown & cause further damage to our unit & perhaps to ourselves (BTW: the insurance adjuster stated this also).

Eh!

trvlrerik

I have just switched from the Mission 235/80/16 to the Michelin 235/85/16 rib because of problems others on this forum have had with the "china bombs". I was worried about the taller tire causing problems in supsension -ect. there was no measurable difference in the ride heigth of my trailer, the only measureable difference was in the spacing between the tires (not a problem).

I did notice the chucking back and forth on rough roughs may be a little better with the Michelins. All I know is that a little more peace of mind is worth a lot of money when it comes to tire issues (for me anyway)

donr827

I switched to the Ribs also. There were pricy but the peace of mind was worth the extra cost. Went from ST tires to the Ribs.
Don

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
You cannot go wrong with Michelin XPS Ribs...used them on two previous units. Best tire we ever had...bar none!! Would have them on my BH now if they only made them in a G rating....I keep hoping!!!:rolleyes:

Till then it's Goodyear G614's....

caissiel

I have chineese tires on all of my cars and they ride great, I just put a set of whitewall tires on my mustanf Convertible, I will never see the end of them, the old tires were 9 years old and looked like new except the cracks