What brand do you recommend???

OTR

Hello everyone this is my first post. I'm curious to get some independent suggestions on which brand of truck (new) everyone recommends. Looking at your suggestion with the experiences you have had. I am looking at pulling a Landmark Augusta, so I'll need a 1-ton. This truck will also be my daily driver so an Automatic and 4x4 are a must. I currently drive an 07 Tundra crewmax limited 4x4 w/5.7 and it has given me over 70,000 trouble free miles and I'm really bummed that I'll have to part with it. I'm having difficulty reading all the forums, people are having huge issues with all the EPA junk and getting poor fuel mileage. This is what I'm finding in my research:
Dodge w/CTD
-Great motor
-Can't get the Aisin in a regular 3500 only in a cab and chassis configeration:(
-Future of the actual car company itself is ??????

GM
-Allison transmission:)
-I don't like the way the truck looks at all. The GMC looks decent IMO.
-Future of the actual car company itself is ??????
-Need to do more research on the Duramax.

Ford
-The inside of the truck is the best of the three
-Tons of mechanical problems with the powerstroke
-New motor in 2011, but I'll need a truck in the Spring.

What I want:
A Tundra diesel 1-ton:)

Thanks everyone with your feedback,
Jason

HarleyRyder

Retired Gunslinger
Wow, this will open the floodgates of personal opinion. It is all about what fits for you in a truck, what you want to tow, what amenities you want (creature comforts) and personal preference of styling.
I chose a Dodge because of my experience with the Cummins in big rigs. Cost was also and issue and availability in my area. I went with the manual trans because it works for me and I feel I have a little more control over what gear I want to be in.
Other folks on this forum will have their opinions on what is the best truck. Each to their own.
Just choose what works for you and what you are comfortable with. They are all good trucks.

Last edited:

jbeletti

My previous tow vehicle was a Dodge 3500 Dually - loved it.

When I found the RV hauler I wanted, all they had was Ford chassis-cabs in stock. So now I have a Ford. Enjoying it as well.

I don't think any of them are bad.

Jim

wfwilson

Founding Canadian Region Director - Retired
Interesting comment you made about the Tundra. I have a Dodge Ram 3500 SRW and love it. I think what you said if Tundra comes out with a 1 Ton Diesel, the big three will have more problems then they do now!
Regards
Wayne

tmcran

Drive them all and be sure to drive them over some rough roads. IMO the GM is the most comfortable and I love the Allison.

caissiel

I also liked my GM truck for towing and it was more carlike. Well I have this Ford 6 speed Std and so far I have never heard the clutch fan come on. It pulls like a top and it is also heavy, I like the idea that the truck is so heavy considering the weight we pull.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
If I were going to tow a Landmark I would look hard at a 450/4500. I tow a 3400 Bighorn and it is my limit. A 3670 Bighorn, in my opinion, you would need to use a 350/3500. Get the proper truck and for an in town vehicle get a used bucket of bolts.

FWIW
BC

cgunn

Ford,Ford & Ford!!!
Just my Humble Opinion!!!
Power Stroke Pulls Like Crazy!!

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
If properly equipped, any brand would do well for you. I do like the Allison trans. so I drive a GM.

CGUNN, couldn't tell from your post but do you like a Ford?:)

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
It's times like these that I reflect back and remember the words of a very wise man...

"Just because the Duramax pulls better, gets better mileage, is faster and looks sharper doesn't make it a superior tow vehicle, it just doesn't. - Uncle Rog"

Pasted from <//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?p=34153#post34153>

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:p:cool:

geeksrus

I've had my 2008 RAM3500 for a little over a year & have put 37,000+ KM on it. It is an extended cab, automatic, 4x4, long box with a 4.10 rear. Have not had any problems with it and it handles great. GCWR is 24,000 lbs.

Eh!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
As most know by my sig, I'm a Chevy man but I don't think I would buy one of the newer GM's. The main reason is all the pollution stuff and 2nd because they changed the rear seating and how they fold. Less room back there. I've driven a Dodge and liked the smooth throttle response and the turning radius. I've never driven the Fords except for an F150. I have ridden in an F250. The suspension was very stiff. If I had to buy a different truck it would be a 2007 GM product. Either a 3500 or 4500 Duramax and a Dodge would be my 2nd choice. And that's my dime. Sorry Ford, you look marvelous but...

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Like Ray, as much as I like my current Chevy...not too fond of the newer ones. Personally, I'm hoping to get another 100k-200k out of it (after having recently spent $6k on preventative maintenance and repairs!) When the time comes for me to purchase my next one, I'll seriously consider the Freightliner M2 SportChassis! I love those things! Wouldn't be an economical daily driver though - the DW would have to follow in another vehicle. :D

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
My sentiments exactly HT and Ray. I love my Duramax/Allison. I would go with a 2008 or earlier if I were to upgrade to a newer truck. I have the earlier version Duramax with a 310hp engine. The LMM engines produce 360hp. Plenty of HP and Torgue for pulling these trailers. I have the Edge set on level 2 which gives me an extra 65 hp. Right up there with the LMM engines. My second choice would be a Dodge. I owned three Dodge vans, one of which was a 4X4, and was well pleased with them. The only thing about Dodges I don't like is the interiors. It is a utilitarian truck and I don't get the same feeling of being in a high end truck like I do with my GMC. As far as Fords go, my feelings against them are for political reasons and I won't go into that on this forum.
Fred

Delaine and Lindy

GM Truck !!!!!

I have only bought GM Trucks, 2500Hd's, 3500Hd's to the Chevy 4500. All have been 4 wheel drive except the 4500. Of course for the Landmarks the GM 3500Hd's will work great. And as for Diesel the Duramax is a proven engine. The only change to the Duramax has been improvements. I do agree that the new DPF system is nothing more than something to please the EPA. Does it work, I'm not reall sure, really believe its just a waste of money and just a major problem at about a 100,000 miles and when ever it has to been cleaned out? But I do know the Duramax/Allison is the best combo and both are proven. Ford is also bringing out a new Diesel their 3rd or 4th in the past 10 years or so???? We know there will be problems until all the bugs are worked out. I did sell my 2008 Chevy dually because of the mess GM management let happen, we went with a Freightliner M2, and said I wouldn't buy another GM Truck. Well after many days of on-line shopping and going to dealerships, we did go back to GM (Gas engine, grocery hauler) but I still don't like what has happened to GM. But I can't change their situation. But I have only had 4x4's and never ever had a need to use it. Unless you do a lot of off roading its just not needed. But again thats a choice you have to make, is it a want or a need. There are some good deals on new Trucks out there. Used Trucks aren't cheap. GBY....

osims

bsims
I have pulled my last three 5ers with dodge 3500s and had no problems. I can't comment on Ford or GM, i'm sure they pull just as well. When i buy a new truck i will look hard and long at the Fords because of the way they handled there self thru this economic mess. When we bought Ornell a new car we went with Ford for that reason.
Bill

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Well...if we had our "druthers"...it would be a Cummins engine with the Allison transmission. We had a 98' Dodge 1-ton that served us flawlessly for ten years. The ONLY reason we got rid of it was the size and weight of the Bighorn 3600RL. The Dodge would pull it and handle it fine, but even with an added exhaust brake, we sometimes felt we were being "pushed", and we were towing a smaller 5er at the time.

We were very leary when we bought the C4500 with the 6.6 Duramax and the Allison...but all we can say now is WOW! We love this truck! The Duramax, with a little help from an Edge w/Attitude chip is one mean towing machine, and what can you say about the Allison...it's just plain bullet proof! We weigh 28,000 pounds, and the Allision and the exhaust brake can hold 55 on a 7% grade and we NEVER touch the brakes...:D

So, if you feel you can tow safely with a 1-ton...for our money the only combo that has it all is in a GM product...:)

SilverRhino

Trailer first - Truck second

I agree....all 3 have their strong points. With my last truck....I bought a Cummins engine...it had a Dodge truck around it! Ideally, I would like a Cummins engine, Allison tranny and a Ford Cab.

I have towed RV's and equipment trailers with all three......At this point I would strongly suggest you look at the "realistic" weight you will be towing and then get the truck that will handle it with an error margin of at least 20%.

My next tow rig will definitely be a Freightliner......I will never have to worry about towing heavy again!

Just my opinion :eek:

lelandpa

We are typically GM people, mainly because we are on our fourth one and haven't had a bit of trouble with any of them. However, when the time comes (probablly in the next year or two) we will most likely buy a Dodge because my husband is a mechanic at a Dodge dealership and can get a good deal. Truck prices totally make my head spin though!