Question for folks using a HDT

CrazyScotsman

My question is, does the fifth wheel on the semi, and king pin on fiver work OK together. ( as in, king pin on fiver same size as semi trailer king pin )
Hopefully my new to me HDT:D will be here this week, just was wondering what will need to be done in order to tow the BH with it.
I imagine that I will probably have to extend fifth wheel slides, as this unit is a twin screw.
Any info would be helpfull. Thanks Ken :)

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Hay Ken, Congrats on the HDT. What did you get?

I am not sure what your post is referring to when you said
I imagine that I will probably have to extend fifth wheel slides, as this unit is a twin screw.

If you have questions about HDT you might go to the Escapees Forum and post in the HDT sections...

Hope to see you again..
BC

CrazyScotsman

Bob it's a 2008 Volvo 780, 535 HP Volvo motor hooked to the Volvo ishift tranny.
Slut red in colour. It will be a work truck, but may use it at times to tow the Big Horn. I don't have it yet, it should be here by the end of next week, it's up in MI.
How is Pat enjoying Trevor ? I'm sure that wee dog is pampered to bits, I saw how Pat was googlie eyed over our dog Lucky.

Cheers Ken

TanDumb

Kim and Chris
Bob it's a 2008 Volvo 780, 535 HP Volvo motor hooked to the Volvo ishift tranny.
Slut red in colour. It will be a work truck, but may use it at times to tow the Big Horn. I don't have it yet, it should be here by the end of next week, it's up in MI.
How is Pat enjoying Trevor ? I'm sure that wee dog is pampered to bits, I saw how Pat was googlie eyed over our dog Lucky.

Cheers Ken
Nice truck. I am jealous!! We have a 99 volvo 770. We can hook the 5er up to the trucks king pin but we added a regular 5er hitch and will be changing that out for an airride hitch once we get out new RV. Post pix when you get the new truck. There are a few people on here that have HDTs. Try this site, Dale & Mark Bruss , they can help you out.

thomasinnv

if your going to retain the big heavy duty hitch on the truck, you will at least need an air ride pin box on the trailer. the stiff suspension of the truck will not absorb any of the road vibration or shock with the light load of an rv, transferring all the "bounce" to the trailer. the heavy hitch on the truck does not have any side to side articulation either which will be hard on the trailer frame when the truck and trailer get off camber from each other, which can happen even on flat pavement just from making a turn. you would never feel it in the truck, but it will play a toll on the frame of the trailer. you WILL eventually have frame stress problems with the trailer if you leave every thing "as is". there is also the issue of connecting the trailer plug to the truck, you will need to create an adapter to plug into. try this website http://www.jackdanmayer.com/
lots of very useful info about using an HDT to haul an rv. they are on the escapees forum as well. you need to check out the HDT section on the escapees.

CrazyScotsman

Tandumb.. you can't go wrong with the Volvo trucks, I used to have a 99 Volvo 770, put a million miles on it before it gave me problems, that wasn't the trucks fault it was the eejit I had driving it, screwed it up.
Like riding in a Caddy in one.
Thomasinnv.. thanks for the links and info, i'll check it all out once I get from the lake on Monday.
Have a great weekend.. Horn is staying home :(

Last edited:

crazybanshee

Crazy you will probably need some type of articulating air ride hitch. Some frame manufactures will not warranty their frames because of the harsh ride of a HDT.
Doug