5ver scooter towing?

SMDAT

Ok, I've read the challenges of trying to tow a motorcycle behind a fifth wheel using a standard cycle carrier (not a deck).

My question: I have a 360lb scooter with a rather heaver king pin weight of almost 2200lbs. I've read the fishtailing stories as well.

Does anybody out there tow a similar weight behind their 5ver? Can this be done using a 2x2 hitch mounted to the frame with a simple versa-haul type carrier?

We have a new ElkRidge 34QSRL.

Any input would be appreciated!

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Sean - we pull our golf cart behind our BC all the time on another trailer, not a deck and don't have any problems. It doesn't do any fishtailing. I also installed a wireless camera (which sometime works sometimes don't) on the back of the BC to try to keep an eye on the trailer. Haven't had any real problems yet.

Attachments

• DSCN0305.jpg
    DSCN0305.jpg
    781 KB · Views: 40

05Winger

Sean - we pull our golf cart behind our BC all the time on another trailer, not a deck and don't have any problems. It doesn't do any fishtailing. I also installed a wireless camera (which sometime works sometimes don't) on the back of the BC to try to keep an eye on the trailer. Haven't had any real problems yet.

What hitch did you put on your trailer to pull the golf cart with and did you install the hitch yourself? I want to pull my Goldwing behind our Sundance 5th wheel using a smart trailer.

SMDAT

We have restrictions to pulling a second "trailer", as it's not legal in all states (we are currently in WA)...hence the need for something off the ground.

seamo

Bob and Christina Seaman
We have a swishel wheel trailer behind our Landmark. Take a look at our photo. It works out well for us. Also we use a camera to see what is going on.

Delaine and Lindy

Double Towing !!!!

When we ordered 5th wheel we also ordered a rear receiver as a factory option. We will be towing a Chevy HHR after we get the base plate and towbar and braking system for the HHR. Have seen many towing the swivel wheel trailers and also pulling boats. Be sure and check the States you will be going thru some don't allow double towing. Also have the rear hitch checkek you might have to add to supports or additional gussets etc. GBY....

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
05Winger - we had the dealership take the BC to have a heavy duty hitch installed. Sorry but I did not asked who did it locally but Nathan double checked to make sure the hitch was welded way back into the frame for hauling.

05Winger

We have restrictions to pulling a second "trailer", as it's not legal in all states (we are currently in WA)...hence the need for something off the ground.
We were just in Washington 3 weeks ago and saw 5th wheels pulling boats all over the state. We have been told there is a length limit which changes from state to state. Some states are 65 and some are 70 feet.

B. Lee

Firecapt422
Sean, there is a company in Katie, TX that makes racks to tow motorcycles and even golf carts. It uses a three point receiver. For something as light at a scooter you can use the single wheel. since it attached to the trailer there is no backing issues. The make a two will rack that can hold up to two thoundand pounds. Since it has two wheels it has apivot point so the trailer can flex one way while the rack moves the other. When not in use the rack can be foled in the upright position.
I went by the shop and looked at the componets. The are heavy duty and i have attached the wed site. http://www.cruiserlift.com/swivelwheel.html

SMDAT

Thanks for all the feedback. Sounds like pulling another "deck trailer" is the preference...was hoping to avoid that. I did find a guy that "invented" a motorcycle carrier that's off the ground and does not use a "lift" system. He has a much smaller 5vr with heavier bike and has not had any problems...

nemo45

SMDAT,
I would like to get in touch with this guy that "invented" the off the ground rack that doesn't use a lift system. I have a 250cc scooter that weighs 367# like your scooter and would like to take it to S.Texas with us this fall. Can you give me contact info.

SMDAT

Nemo45:

This is the guy that "built his own". Obviously he's not having any problems towing this sucker...actually shown as version 1 and 2 of his creation on the two websites.

http://www.rv-boondocking-the-good-life.com/motorcyclecarrier.html

www.motorcycle-touring-the-good-life.com

I am also looking into one of these for my 260 scooter:

http://www.motorcyclecarrier.net/scooter_carriers.html

http://www.atvsolutions.com/Motorcycle-Sccoters.html

My issue is not if the carrier will hold the scooter, but rather the weight balance changes on the fifth wheel.

I still have not had anyone reply that is doing this...probably not a good thing ;)

Let me know if you hear anything new or applicable to this.