AC out

HappyKayakers

Today, we had company over. I may have heard a single pop while the AC was running. Then one of our guests thought they smelled something burning. Turned off the AC and the fan, checked inside and out, no smoke. Turned AC and fan back on, only warm air coming out vents. Went to movies and dinner for AC. (It's still hot and humid here in Florida!) Not sure if mobile RV repair will be available on Mon due to Labor Day. I plan on going up to the roof tomorrow morning and pulling the plastic cover off the AC. Other than looking for obvious scorch or burn marks, does anyone have any suggestions?

thomasinnv

if it was a breaker you wouldn't get the fan on. the "pop" you described sounds like the cooling unit may have "popped". sound like it either lost it's coolant or the compressor is not coming on. take the cover off and have your other half turn on the thermostat while you listen with ear next to the compressor and see if it is coming on. (they are really quiet now a days, so you might have to get close to hear it) if it is not coming on, check the switch on the top of the compressor for voltage on both sides. there will be a start capacitor and a thermal switch on the top of the compressor, the switch is the one that rests on top with a spring on top of it. thats really about all you can do without a service tech.

HappyKayakers

Checked the breakers, none were tripped. Popped the plastic shroud yesterday morning. Looked under a metal case and found a gray cylinder with several wires attached (capacitor?). Anyway, took a sniff and it smelled kinda funny. This one's out of my league. We'll be calling the mobile RV guy and let you know what it was.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
As for me when I have done everything I know how to do it is time to call in the Pros. Sounds like you are at that point. Good luck.