LP Genset

Anyone out there converted their generator to run on LP? Thinking I'd add a larger tank somewhere as well, but thought that single fuel would be a plus for dry camping.

thomasinnv

i bought a propane onan and installed it in the front compartment. fuel doesn't really seem to be an issue. however, we usually boondock in areas that are cool enough we don't have to run the ac all day either.

Just looking at numbers it looks like they use quite a bit of fuel vs. the gas versions. I would only need gas for the generator so it would be nice to simplify a bit and just have two fuels. Probably will be in some pretty warm areas so might find ourselves running the AC's a good bit.

Thank you for your response!

lsu5000

LP generator

I have a LP generator I use for tailgateing at the football games. 2 forty lb tanks will last me from thursday night to Sunday morning. I run two AC and 3 TV all the time. It works great for a 5th wheel.

Superduty

Grand Canyon
I also have the LP Genset in my Landmark, 1 40lb tank will last about 12 hours. So far I am pleased.. Only concern is the refilling of the tanks, and not having a place to refill. Has happened, and on a sunday.. I have since bought another 40lb tank, and use as a backup.

yondering

Retired-Full Timer
We have an onan gold 5500 LP genset in our 3580RL. A 30lb tank last about 12 hours if we run both ac's and tv, plus all standard interior lights/appliances.We usually try not to run the genset 24hours straight through. We just added two extra 30lb tanks , mounted in bed of truck. Works out fine. Have a Blessed day, Al W

Northern Virginia
We have a 6500 watt gasoline Onan with two 6 gallon marine tanks in the generator compartment's adjacent space. The main pro to the gas genset is the availability of gasoline-you can get it anywhere at anytime. With LP, refilling your tanks on Sunday evening in the boondocks is doubtful at best.

The downside is safety. Portable gas tanks require extra care handling and storing. I feeling the marine tanks are safe as they are sealed with one way vents. I installed quick connects on the fuel line to the genset and both tanks so spilling is non existent. I also like that I can conserve proapne for cooking, the refrigerator and heating should we need it.

We just went dry camping in the mountains of West Virginia for 5 days and our set up worked very well. We only used 6 gallons of gasoline running the genset for about 2 hours a day. We also have a 2500 watt inverter so we didn't need the generator on all the time. Running the generator for a couple hours a day kept the batteries topped off. We also were able to heat the hot water with electricity while the generator was running. We never had to switch the water heater to LP and were able to conserve more LP.

I could buy an LP coversion kit for the Onan but am pretty happy with the current set up.