poor workmanship/gray & black water vents on ceiling

whodoc

Bought new 2009 3410RE, and has A/C in Bedroom. Everytime we turned the bedroom a/c on we were getting a bad odor. Thinking we were somehow sucking in air through the a/c from the vents, I bought "Cyclone" vents from Camping world to put on.
As I was on the roof replacing the original vent caps I discovered that 3 of the 4 vent pipes did not extend up past the top of original vent cap.
The one that I suspect was allowing odor into the ceiling and then into the a/c did not even have sealant(none were sealed) around the 1 1/2" vent pipe coming up through the ceiling, leaving a 1/2" gap all around it.
After installing the Cyclones' and sealing, No More Odor!!!!
So, if anybody is getting an odor, this is something to check!
Mark

wdk450

More vent pipe poor workmanship

I climbed up on the roof the other day to install one of the wind turbine vents on my black tank vent pipe. I took the round top off the vent pipe and discovered that the large protective weatherproofing flange that surrounds the vent pipe was way off center. It was so far off center that it was impossible to install the vent add-on without removing and repositioning the flange, which has has a hole cut in the rubber roof, screw holes, and a lot of sealant. I was forecast for rain the next day, so I put the job off some more, until I am ready to tackle all of the sealing issues.

BTW, I have heard that the vent pipes being loose vertically is a very common "problem" throughout the RV industry.

whodoc

After installing the wind turbines and sealing to solve the odor problem, I took the cover off the bedroom a/c inside the bedroom.
This a/c re-circulates the air (no outside air is drawn in) but this a/c installation was not correct. It was open to the atic(you could see the insulation and speaker wire)
I taped the ends with foil tape so no air would be sucked in from the atic, only from the bedroom as it should be.... another problem solved,
Mark