Water Heater Bypass

Jimmie-Kay

We are new owners of the M21, it seems the owners manual is geared more to other Heartland trailers. Having difficulty locating the water heater bypass. This is our first post and we would appreciate any help from other Edge owners.

jimtoo

Hi Jimmie-Kay,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information.

Someone will jump in here and give you an answer to your question soon.

Enjoy the forum and your new toy.

Jim M

Jimmie-Kay

Thank you for the welcome and I really hope someone will jump in and help us find the water heater bypass. We have a trip planned the end of this week to New England and would like to carry some water on board but no need to fill the water heater, while traveling.

The forum has been very helpful, thanks again for allowing us to participate.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I'm not sure on the Edge, but many of the units have access to the hot water heater by-pass from inside the trailer. Note where the HWH is on the outside and find the corresponding location in the interior. You may be able to find an access panel nearby. It would probably be held on by a couple of screws. Mine was under a cabinet and was about 1 foot high by 2 feet wide. Other possible locations are under a dinette seat. Sorry I can't be more specific. Hopefully, an Edge owner will hop on soon with a more precise answer. Good Luck!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Call Heartland Customer Service and they can tell you, or call the dealer where you bought it and they should be able to tell you. They should have shown you during your PDI.

jbeletti

Jim,

Don't discount your dealer knowing this information. Give them a call. Also, don't let not being able to bypass the heater from letting you go camping with it. It will be fine.

A couple minutes of sleuthing may help you locate the bypass. Find the water heater first. From the outside, there is usually a square access panel that is removable. Behind this panel is the water heater. Behind the water heater is usually the bypass valve. Transfer this exterior location to the inside and start looking there.

Jim

Jimmyt5

I would not empty the water heater just going to a camp sight. Murphy's law says that one day you will forget it is empty and you will turn on the heating element and burn it out. Just my 2 cents.

rick_h

On the edge m18 I had to remove a panel (4 screws) in the basement storage area to get at the bypass valve.

mikeyy53

On the M-21 the water bypass is under the cabinet where the the radio is you need to remove 4 screws. I found that I was educating my during the walk thru. I do agree that the owners manual reallly doesn't help much.

Jimmie-Kay

Thank you, Mikeyy53, found it just fine with your directions. We were not shown that in our quick walk-through. Thank everyone for their comments.

Larry77

I don't really see the need for finding bypass...can you explain it to me? I'm new to RV'ing and haven't heard of this yet...

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I don't really see the need for finding bypass...can you explain it to me? I'm new to RV'ing and haven't heard of this yet...
You don't want to try to fill up the HWH with antifreeze when you winterize, so you bypass it. Then all you have to do is drain it for no freezing problems.