Towing New BC 3500RL

Rob_Fla

We are going to try to see one of the new BC 3500RL units in person in a couple of weeks. My question is will we be able to handle it with our 2007 2500HD DMax Chevy truck?

Boca_Shuffles

You will be over your GVWR of your 2500. With 20-25% of your GVWR of the 3500RL (15,500lbs) being a potential pin weight of 3,100 to 3,875 lbs, you will exceed the 2000 lb cargo weight of the 2500.

My 2006 GMC 2500 weighed 7,200 lbs with a hitch, myself and a full fuel tank. Subtract that from 9,200 lbs and that only leaves 2,000 lbs for the pin weight.

On this site and on RV.net, you will read that the GVWR doesn't mean anything. people will state that the truck GVWR doesn't really mean anything and that they use a 2500 to pull big loads. They state the GCWR of the truck as being able to handle the load. But if they don't believe the GVWR, how can they assume any accuracy in the GCWR? If one number is phony, the other one probably is also.

Most people would use a one ton or higher for the weight of the trailer.

caissiel

I just bought a 3500RL BC and been towing it with my F250, my truck GCVW is 23000# and the truck is registered for 12000#. The combine GVCW of the truck and trailer is 23000 - trailer GVW 15500 = 8500 that is without pin weight on the truck. also 15500-2500 = 13000 left on the trailer axles. I am towing with the truck and feel less weight then my old trailer that was 11000 GVW. This trailer tows reel well in the wind also. I travelled with the Hurricane Bill aftermate wind and felt hardly any movement of the unit. I had 2 extra ply of spring that the previous owner had installed on my truck and the trailer hardly dropped the rear so I removed one ply on my truck rear this week, now my truck drops by 2.5" Just like the GM did and the rear is now 1" lower then the front. Just the way I like it. Hope with the removed ply the ride of the truck will be improved. We need weight on the pin to haul these heavy trailers. I feel the pin weight is the same as my old trailer that I pulled for 9 years with a GM 2500 with max trailer weight rating of 8600# and had original shocks and spring after 150K miles.

caissiel

I just left on a camping trip Tuesday and was amazed how nice the trailer pulled. I did one MPG better then towing my old trailer. You feel the weight but it tows real easy. I towed the old trailer with my 98 GM 6.5L Diesel for 9 years before aquiring the F250 I drive now. With the truck back to stock Spring, I had the ride the old GM had. I am very satisfied with this unit.

grizzlygiant

My previous trailer, a Bighorn 3400, was slightly lighter than your BC. I pulled it thousands of miles in mountains and on the flat with my 2500 Dodge diesel. While I had no real troubles (a few white knuckle stops!) I always felt that the trailer was in control too many times. I have since "downsized" to a 31' Sundance and feel a world of difference---good.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
On this site and on RV.net, you will read that the GVWR doesn't mean anything. people will state that the truck GVWR doesn't really mean anything and that they use a 2500 to pull big loads.
I have to try and pleasantly disagree with your statement regarding this site. I have been reading almost every post on this forum for almost 2 years. While I have seen many posters replying that they tow monster trailers with there 2500 series trucks, the more seasoned, rational owners are towing with the more practical vehicle as required. I have also seen many posts that an owners will ask "can my truck pull this" and most replies come back stating that the poster needs to to the math and determine their own capabilities. You are right about this thread, the need for a 1 ton truck is obvious. How many times have you seen poster become disappointed because we said their truck wasn't capable. Keep in mind, a lot of what you read here are opinions. I even remember a fairly recent post that we were accused of being partial to 1 ton trucks or MDT's. I don't think that's the case at all. I apologise for getting defensive but I think the majority of our members will agree with my statement. Thanks for your post.;)

nemo45

First let me start by stating that I have a 1 ton SRW pickup. But, I have a hard time understanding why when the only difference in Dodge and Ford 3/4 and one ton pickup is the overload springs if you add air bags or overload springs you wouldn't have exactly the same thing no matter what Chrylsler or Ford or the weight police say. The only reason I don't add Chevy and GMC to the mix is I'm not sure of the differences on them. Even the dually on a Dodge only adds 700 lbs. GVWR over the SRW. One of the big factors on the GCVWR is the rear end on the Dodge anyway, there is a difference of 4000 lbs. going from a 3.73 to a 4.10 rear end. Why? I know the dually's stop better, well what are the brakes on the trailer for? I know mine work fine. I guess though I'd hate to tell somebody that his 3/4 ton truck will do just fine if he adds air bags and hear something happpened while he was towing. I will just say that I have towed my 15000# GVWR fifthwheels over 30,000 miles with my Dodge, SRW, 3500, 3.73 rear end with absolutely no problems. None. Its a great truck.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
I pulled my BC 3250 with a 2500 dodge diesel for 2 years without any problems in and around the hills of the Smoky Mountains. Common sense plays a big part in pulling trailers which alot of people forget when they get behind the wheel. You just can't race around like you would in a car or either the truck without the camper. We have since traded the 2500 for a 3500 dodge diesel, srw, 3.73 rearend because we hope to get a Landmark in the near future, otherwise we would have stayed with the 2500. Can bet the fuel mileage with the 2500.

Ray LeTourneau

The reason I stuck my nickles worth in here in the first place is because the poster felt this site's position was that we were telling folks that their 3/4 ton truck could pull the heavier trailers. I only responded that while some owner/members might say they have no problems pulling a heavy trailer with their 3/4 ton truck, most of us felt that a 1 ton or more would be the best truck for the job. I agree, there are a lot of guys pulling heavy trailers but does that make it right? I don't know. I'm not the weight police. But, could there be legal issues if we are involved in an accident and we're overweight??? I don't know, I'm not an attorney either. I like to go by the numbers. When I respond to the general question of "can my truck pull this" or "can my truck handle this", generally the answer is yes, you can pull it and stop it but according to the numbers, they will be over weight. It's a decision the owner must make and for whatever reason I prefer to be within my trucks GVRW and Combined rating as well. I have no desire to start a war. I feel the only thing that's different between the 3/4 and 1 tons capacities are springs and 2 more tires. Gearing affects towing capacity as well.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
And that doesn't even take into consideration the "fudge factor"...you know the cushion the factory leaves because they know people will overload their product. We should all
"go by the numbers" but just like a speed limit people by nature will try to push the limits until they break. I just hope we are not in the way of one of those "limit pushers" when it does break. As for me I have never understood why someone even needs to ask the question "will my truck pull it", when all they need to do is read the numbers and go by that. The real question should be "how long can my truck pull it before 'Murphy's law' takes effect." TIMHO

nemo45

Look guys, I'm not trying to start a war here either. But, just tell me what can happen to a 3/4 ton with air bags that can't happen to a 1 ton if the brakes, transmission, frame, shocks, tires and springs (non-overload) are the same? My opinion is, nothing. I will tell you though there is no way I'd chip any of these new diesels hoping to be able to tow more. In the first place there is no need to and secondly you're just asking for trouble by adding torque and H.P. and causing stresses the engine and transmission were not designed for. By disagreeing with you Ray or anyone else I am not questioning your integrity or motive for responding in the mannner you did. I just have a different opinion based on my experiences and common sense. And by saying so, I am not implying anyone lacks common sense or that I have more of it than anyone else. On all these forums I have never read of anyone that has been in an accident being sued or their insurance refusing to pay because they were over the allowable weight on their truck's sticker.

Ray LeTourneau

Don, I don't feel we disagree at all. It's a decision we all have to make no matter what we drive. With the weight of my 3400 after the new suspension, I could easily move up to a 4500. I'm right at my combined limit but I'm comfortable with it. As for legal issues. I don't know. I've never read any posts about it either but you know them lawyers.;)

caissiel

I was talking to a new F150 owner a few weeks ago and he was pulling a TT off 11000 GVW. He said it pulled it very well, and the owners manual was stating he could pull a 11000 Lbs trailer. Well I told him that I would not get out of the park with the trailer hooked to his truck. Why do Ford GM and Dodge do those statements. A F150 barely weights 4500Lbs and with 1100Lbs tongue weight the trailer can surely dominate the truck. My Superduty at 7500 Lbs and 2500 tongue weight is at its limits with a 15000 Lbs unit.

Last edited: