Shear bolts for sildes

jimpav

Noticed yesterday that the bolt in the slide tube (main slide) was missing. I assume this is a shear bolt. Found the broken piece on the ground, but cannot identify the grade for replacement. The slide cannot be manually retracted at this point. Any idea what causes these to break, and what grade should be used for the front landing gear as well?
2010 35 DSRL Eagle Ridge

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Jim, in addition to my reply to the other thread, you could use a plain old bolt. Just listen very carefully for the motor/pump and stop the slide if you hear it straining. This should work at least until you find a definite answer to your question.

jimpav

yea, thanks Ray...... but I need not only to determine the grade bolt, but also to figure out why it broke. As these Lippert motor slides are common on many trailers, you would think the individual factories would publish replacement information in their owner's handbooks. Heartland does not mention anything about shear bolts (if that's what they really are) in the manual.....neither could I find anything out on the Lippert site. I'm kind of glad it happened in my backyard vs out in the booinies on a rainy night. There is no way to manually retract the slide without that bolt in place. I assume the same is true for the front landing gear.

jimpav

Just got some dealer response . ( Fabulous dealer). Apparently, Lippert recommends a grade 5 bolt material. I confirmed that I am able to "self-fix" without voiding any future warranty claims. I will also make an appointment with the selling dealer for them to try to figure what caused it to shear in the first place.
I've attached a couple of pics of the broken bolt.

Attachments

• 35DSRL 1.jpg
    35DSRL 1.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 35DSRL 2.JPG
    35DSRL 2.JPG
    748.1 KB · Views: 42

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
jimpav, the bolt you have in the picture shows it to be a grade 8.

Peace
Dave

FLOYD PHILBROOK

Nevada Chapter Leader
Shear bolts

I talked to lippert this morning about the bolts and they told me either a grade 5 or 8 will work. I broke the shaft on non motor side of landing gear where the bolt goes throu. They said to get a bolt long enough the shank went all throu the drive shaft sticking out and put washers on and tighten up. They said if the thread of the bolt was inside of the drive shaft it would be prone to break. They are sending me the kit to fix the shaft at no charge,but if i wanted the bolt i had to pay for it because it is an accessary. FLOYD PHILBROOK

jimpav

You guys are right.......my bolt (and the opposite one) is a grade 8. Upon dealer conversation with Lippert, they recommended a grade 5. I imagine it's because of the lower proof load stress rating (it will shear faster than an 8). It's still indeterminate why the bolt broke in the first place.