First Timers, Need Advice...

We are so excited! Our Big Country 3490 BHS will here in a few days! Never owned an RV (loved to tent camp). DH will use full time for work, the weekends are for DW and one three year old (hope to travel with it one to two weekends per month). I have been following the threads about camping products and advice for newbies, but we still have tons of questions.

Looking for suggestions for dishes, glass or plastic? Same for cups.
What are suggestions for the bedding for bunks? Should we buy the special sheets or can we use twin sheets and tuck them in? What about cookware? Do we need special bakeware?

I keep thinking about the tools that we will need. Drill, quick ties, tons of duct tape, etc. What about maintenance of the hitch (have a F350 with a B&W conversion receiver)? Recall that we need to test the torque on the bolts every 5K miles for the first time? Anything else?

Thanks in advance for all advice!

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
All right, someone with money who wants us to help spend it. Please send certified blank check and wait by mail box for items I buy for you.:D

Actually there are many things to buy and carry-but the best thing is purchase a small tool kit that has all the basics-screwdrivers, wrenches,pliers etc. A multimeter is also a must. Some of us carry air compressors.

After the tools, as you mentioned, zip ties etc.

Cant help with the dishes and stuff like that. I am not allowed in that dept.

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Abariterose, I brought corelle plates and bowls and coffee cups I really like them I even have them in my house. I did buy a set of glasses from Tupperware but don't use them much. I just put grip it shelf & cushion liners that keeps things from sliding in the cabinets and I don't have any trouble. I also put it under my coffee pot and it rides on the counter along with the bread box I just cut it to fit no one even knows it is there .Can't help much on the tools thats DH jobs I am in side he is out side unless of course I break some thing then he is both. Good Luck and Happy Camping Kathy:)

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Here's a previous thread with a lot of good ideas, after a few trips you will learn what is needed and what to take in or out.....Kenny

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=8588&highlight=tools+needed

caissiel

I do carry all my mechanical basic tools and a lot of carpenters tools. We also work helping Habitat for Humanity and the tools come handy. I have also carried spare springs after I broke one on a sunday morning and had to be home by monday. I also went to have one ply on the rear spring replaced on my truck and the spring shop told me that the main ply on the ford and GM's have a habit of braking. I might carry one of those to. We cannot carry everything, but on the road we need to be practicle and that I am. Hardly never had warranty work done, because everything is checked by the man I trust, ME. just as I was ready to trade in my old trailer I was on my way home on a saturday night and broke a spring on the way, it was so bad that by the time I arrived at the parking lot the 2nd spring on the same axle broke. I had 2 spares and in 2 hrs I was on my way home again. During that time the Mrs cooked me a nice home made meal. Thats why I Like the 7000# axles on the BC.

Here are a couple of suggestions: The Corelle idea has worked out the best for us. Plastic gets grooves quickly and wont come clean. Also dont forget your white water supply hose! Certified for drinking water. I believe you mentioned something about the 5th wheel plate maintenance.....we used a disc that eliminated most of that, just some heavy silicone like white lightening worked great for the lever and pivots.

Enjoy!